breaking news

Meet the 2017 winners of Dayton.com’s Best of Dayton poll

Eliza Dushku says she was molested by 'True Lies' stunt coordinator at age 12


Actress Eliza Dushku took to Facebook on Saturday to allege that she was molested as a child by a "True Lies" stunt coordinator.

"When I was 12 years old, while filming 'True Lies,' I was sexually molested by Joel Kramer, one of Hollywood's leading stunt coordinators," wrote Dushku, now 37. 

"Ever since, I have struggled with how and when to disclose this, if ever. At the time, I shared what happened to me with my parents, two adult friends and one of my older brothers. No one seemed ready to confront this taboo subject then, nor was I."

>> Read the full post here (WARNING: Discretion advised.)

She alleged that Kramer, who was 36 at the time, lured her to his hotel room, put her on the bed, then "disappeared in the bathroom and emerged, naked, bearing nothing but a small hand towel held flimsy at his mid-section" before wrapping his body around her and sexually assaulting her.

Dushku also said she was, "by no small coincidence," hurt in a "stunt-gone-wrong on the Harrier jet" the same day a friend she had confided in confronted Kramer about the incident.

"With broken ribs, I spent the evening in the hospital," Dushku wrote. "To be clear, over the course of those months rehearsing and filming True Lies, it was Joel Kramer who was responsible for my safety on a film that at the time broke new ground for action films. On a daily basis he rigged wires and harnesses on my 12 year old body. My life was literally in his hands: he hung me in the open air, from a tower crane, atop an office tower, 25+ stories high. Whereas he was supposed to be my protector, he was my abuser."

Kramer has denied the allegations, Variety reported.

>> Read more trending news 

According to the Los Angeles Times, "True Lies" writer and director James Cameron said Dushku "is very brave for speaking up, and I think all the women are that are speaking out and calling for a reckoning now."

“I know the other party – not well. He hasn't worked for me since then," Cameron said, according to the Times report. "The fact that this was happening under our noses and we didn’t know about it, I think going forward it’s important for all industries – certainly Hollywood – to create a safe avenue for people to speak up."

Read more here.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Company laying off 48 in Butler County
Company laying off 48 in Butler County

Dover Business Services is laying off 48 employees and contractors at 9393 Princeton-Glendale Road in West Chester Twp. later this year. The company sent a notice of mass layoff to the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services’ Office of Workforce Development in a letter dated Jan. 16. “DBS expects that the mass layoff will be permanent...
Male shot in leg in Dayton, police searching for suspect
Male shot in leg in Dayton, police searching for suspect

The incident occurred as a group of juvenile males were walking east on Edison Street. When they got to Ardmore Avenue, a blue SUV showed up and fired shots, striking one of the males in the leg, police said. The victim was taken to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment. Police are searching for suspects after an 18-year-old male was shot in the leg...
Man accused of murder during sex act convicted 
Man accused of murder during sex act convicted 

The man accused of shooting a 41-year-old man, ultimately leading to his death, was convicted of murder and felonious assault. Michael J. Wood Jr., 19, of Dayton, shot and killed Elroy Facey on Hoover Avenue on May 3, 2017, according to prosecutors. “The victim attempted to run away, but the adult defendant chased the victim and shot him...
Dayton RTA looking to end cash fares
Dayton RTA looking to end cash fares

The Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority hopes to modernize its payment system to get rid of cash fares by 2020, becoming one of the first major transit agencies in the country to stop accepting coins and dollar bills, officials said this week. LOCAL NEWS: ‘Bad news” for the city: 7 reactions to Good Samaritan Hospital’s closing...
Miami County man charged with rape of child
Miami County man charged with rape of child

A 67-year-old Laura man is in the Miami County Jail accused of raping a child under the age of 10, according to records. Deputies said they arrested Gerald Rue on a rape charge Wednesday afternoon and his bond is set at $800,000, according to jail records. “The now adult victim reported the sexual assault to detectives last year,” Miami...
More Stories