breaking news

Multi-vehicle accident shuts down southbound I-675 in Centerville

ADs, principal, coach missed Dunbar eligibility issue


No principal, coach or athletic director raised the issue of a Dunbar football star’s ineligibility last fall until a full week after his grades disqualified him, according to Dayton Public Schools investigative documents released this week.

This newspaper obtained the full statements that a half-dozen key employees made to a district investigator shortly after the Oct. 28 game.

Dunbar’s first academic quarter ended Oct. 13, and that quarter’s grades began determining eligibility on Oct. 21. The player’s grades made him ineligible, but he played in Dunbar’s wins over Cincinnati Taft on Oct. 21 and over Belmont on Oct. 28, causing Dunbar to forfeit those games and miss the playoffs.

RELATED: Dunbar coaches say they were told to lose

Multiple district employees told DPS security director Jamie Bullens that the first mention of the student’s ineligibility came from staffers of Dunbar’s Oct. 28 opponent, Belmont High School. In an Oct. 31 interview with Bullens, Belmont football coach/athletic director Earl White said he heard about the player’s ineligibility from a Belmont teacher, then mentioned the issue to Belmont Principal Melanie Walter around noon on the day of their game.

Walter told Bullens she passed the information on to Dunbar principal Crystal Phillips.

“I expressed to her (colleague to colleague) I didn’t have proof, but wanted her to know what was being said so if she chose to do anything about it, she could,” Walter said in an Oct. 31 interview with Bullens.

The Dunbar player was taking classes on a block schedule – his three main classes were the equivalent of two periods (or credits) each, so that a full-credit course can be completed in one semester.

RELATED: DPS, state investigations focus blame differently

Then-Dunbar Athletic Director Pete Pullen told Bullens that the student passed Geometry and Spanish, but failed English. That meant he passed four credits, when the requirement for eligibility is five. The student also passed a physical education class, but that is not a full-credit class, so the student was short of the five credits needed to be eligible.

Pullen told Bullens he was calculating the student’s eligibility based on his GPA and thought he was eligible. Dunbar football coach Darran Powell told Bullens he didn’t know gym classes counted differently. Districtwide Athletic Director Mark Baker told Bullens he had no experience with block schedules outside of a single workshop in Columbus last year. OHSAA bylaws list school principals as primarily responsible for oversight, but Phillips’ interview indicates she wasn’t aware of the problem until Walter called.

“Hindsight is always 20/20, so if I could go back and change it, I would,” Powell told Bullens. “I should’ve listened to my principal and not played him because she was adamant about him not playing.”

Pullen also accepted some blame in his interview for playing the student.

RELATED: Forfeits knocked Dunbar, Piqua out of playoffs

Phillips was adamant with Powell and Pullen about the student not playing, but she told Bullens there were communication issues between her and Baker. Both of them said that when Baker asked Phillips about the player’s eligibility just before the Belmont game, she told him she didn’t know for sure, and asked what Pullen had said about it.

That led to a conversation between Pullen and Baker, who called a Columbus school athletic director for advice. There is disagreement between the parties about who actually gave the OK for the student to enter the game.

White, the Belmont AD, told Bullens the first thing athletic directors are trained on is eligibility procedures.

“Everybody knows with PE it only counts for ¼ credit and you’re on a block schedule, you can’t fail another class or you won’t be passing enough credits,” White said. “So with them having the report card in their face looking at it, I don’t understand how anyone over there could have thought, with that information prior to the game, this young man was eligible.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

1 reported dead in multiple-vehicle crash on I-675 in Centerville; Southbound lanes closed
1 reported dead in multiple-vehicle crash on I-675 in Centerville; Southbound lanes closed

Police and medic units are on the scene of a multiple-vehicle injury accident on I-675 South at Far Hills Avenue in Centerville. We’re hearing the accident could involve at least one probable fatality, as many as four people injured, at least three vehicles and a reported wrong-way driver.  We’re working to confirm those details. Police...
Otterbein Lebanon trades land for outdoor sports complex
Otterbein Lebanon trades land for outdoor sports complex

Otterbein Lebanon transferred about 107 aces of their land to Warren County on Oct. 2, in lieu of an outdoor sports complex project.  The project may potentially begin this November. It will begin the “Union Village” plan that Otterbein is developing to create a high-quality village that “preserves the very strong sense...
Ohio income tax collection change ‘a solution in search of a problem’
Ohio income tax collection change ‘a solution in search of a problem’

A state change would weaken local oversight in collecting business taxes and, according to Miamisburg’s city manager, is a “solution in search of a problem.” Miamisburg is looking to join other cities and villages across Ohio in challenging the constitutionality of a change that would allow the state to collect local taxes as means...
Tiny technology helps breast cancer surgery patients
Tiny technology helps breast cancer surgery patients

Breast imaging technology has become more refined, allowing many breast abnormalities and cancers to be detected before they can be felt with a physical exam. While early detection allows for treatment to begin sooner and for patients to have better outcomes, it also presents a greater challenge in precisely locating and removing smaller or deeper...
2 creating YouTube video survive close call with train, Fairborn fire official says
2 creating YouTube video survive close call with train, Fairborn fire official says

UPDATE @ 8 p.m.: Two people videotaping for the purpose of posting their exploits to YouTube escaped injury when one of them allegedly rolled off railroad tracks as a train approached, and the second apparently standing too close to the tracks was thrown to the ground when the train hit the backpack that person was holding.  That's the early...
More Stories