Director of Springfield funeral home convicted: 4 things to know


The director of a well-known Springfield funeral home, Robert C. Henry II, was convicted in federal court for the theft of more than $180,000 in Social Security benefits.

Henry, one of the owners of the Robert C. Henry Funeral Home, pleaded guilty to the charge of public theft in September 2016 in a southwestern Ohio court.

Here’s four things to know about Henry, how he was convicted on the charge and the future of the home.

RELATED: Historic Springfield funeral home owner convicted of theft

1. Collecting on benefits he wasn’t owed

Prosecutors allege in federal court documents that Henry collected a total of $180,927.44 in Title II Retirement and Survivor’s Insurance benefits over a period of 15 years on a woman who died over whom he had power of attorney. Multiple calls to Henry’s federal public defender and his family members haven’t been returned.

2. “…I was convicted of a crime I was responsible for, but did not commit.”

In a letter to the Ohio Board of Funeral Embalmers and Funeral Directors, Henry said after the woman died, her benefit checks continued to be issued. He also says in the letter, he could neither locate the woman’s family after her death nor prove the family had actually received the money from the checks he forwarded. He was ordered to repay the money, which he is doing with his own personal funds, and serve up to three years of probation.

MORE COVERAGE: New Carlisle man, Xenia teacher faces rape charge in Logan County

3. License under review

When filing for his funeral director’s license to be renewed earlier this year, the state board alleged he lied on his application form by stating “no” when a question asked if he has been found guilty of, or plead guilty or no contest to a felony. As it contradicts the plea he made in 2016, the Board of Funeral Embalmers and Funeral Directors unanimously charged him with unprofessional conduct, a violation that allows them to suspend or revoke his license at their discretion. According to Ohio’s license check web site, Henry II’s license remains active at this time.

4. Staff hired by former employee

Jerry W. Kinley, a funeral director and former employee of the Henry home, said he has hired staff members from there and plans to open a new facility to serve the Springfield community soon.

3 MUST READ STORIES

18-month-old boy recovering after overdosing on heroin he ingested

Springfield man injured in Las Vegas shooting: 3 things to know

Springfield man killed in shooting protecting friend, dad says



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Ohio 63 closed west of Lebanon
Ohio 63 closed west of Lebanon

Ohio 63 is closed between Ohio 741 and McClure Road, west of Lebanon, due to a crash. The Ohio Department of Transportation is recommending drivers use an alternate route. MORE: Ohio 63 in Warren County reopens after April crash Arrow boards or signs will be in place to alert motorists. There were no reported injuries, according to Warren County officials...
Shoplifting suspect leads Englewood police on chase in stolen car, officers say
Shoplifting suspect leads Englewood police on chase in stolen car, officers say

A man suspected of shoplifting at an Englewood Walmart on Tuesday led police on a brief chase after officers learned the getaway car was stolen, police said.  After the suspect left Walmart, he stopped at a nearby Meijer gas station to get gas for the car, which was stolen, Englewood police said. The police chief, who was in the area, spotted...
Cottrel: Christmas traditions part of why people like living in Enon
Cottrel: Christmas traditions part of why people like living in Enon

The weather outside was indeed frightful Friday evening when I ventured out in search of the Enon/Mad River Twp. Santa Parade. The first significant snow was falling and visibility was bad enough that Santa would have needed Rudolph if it was Christmas Eve. I drove into the middle of Enon and lowered my windows. In the distance I could hear sirens...
$1M bond for Oxford taxi owner accused of raping 2 Miami U. students
$1M bond for Oxford taxi owner accused of raping 2 Miami U. students

Bond has been set at $1 million for an Oxford man accused of raping two Miami University students in his vehicle that serves as a taxi service. Sherman Jackson II, the owner and operator of Sherman’s Safe Ride, was video arraigned Tuesday on two counts of rape and two counts of kidnapping. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Thursday...
Trump signs defense bill; shutdown stlll looms next week
Trump signs defense bill; shutdown stlll looms next week

President Donald Trump signed a defense authorization bill into law Tuesday, but that doesn’t settle the prospect of a partial federal government shutdown Dec. 22. The bill authorizes defense programs for 2018, many of which will impact Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, but reaching a funding deal that would pay for the programs has eluded lawmakers...
More Stories