If you’ve never been to a film festival, this is a great week to consider it with the 2013 Eichelberger FilmDayton Festival coming up Aug. 22-25. The screenings will be held at The Neon movie theater in downtown Dayton with some of the other events nearby.
The story you’re reading is premium content for subscribers of the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News. Not a subscriber? Get total access to all our in-depth news and exclusive content here.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com all week — weekly digital pass$3.99 per week
Subscribe for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
Highlights from the 2013 FilmDayton Festival :
* IN A WORLD (7 p.m. Friday, August 23) Winner of Best Screenplay at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, this comedy from writer/director/star Lake Bell, follows an underachieving vocal coach motivated by her father — , the king of movie-trailer voice-overs — to pursue her aspirations of becoming a voice-over star.
* FRIDAY NIGHT FRIGHT (11 p.m. Friday, August 23) A block of jury- selected shorts and a special presentation of Andy Copp’s horror feature, THE MUTILATION MAN.
* JACK, JULES, ESTHER, AND ME (1 p.m. Saturday, August 24) This comedy follows four eighteen-year-olds in New York City over their last weekend before starting college – two are rich and two are poor. Written and directed by Daniel Poliner with cinematography by Dayton’s own Djuna Wahlrab. The screening will be followed by Q&A with Guest Filmmaker Dan Poliner via Skype.
* SHORT BLOCK I (3:30 p..m., Saturday, August 24) and SHORT BLOCK II (1 p.m. Sunday, August 25). Filmmakers from four continents and Ohio are represented in this group of documentary, narrative, horror, animation, and experimental films.
* PITCH IT! & FESTIVAL PARTY (6 p.m. Saturday, August 24 at Gillly’s) Drop $5 in the hat and pitch your movie in two minutes to a panel of industry experts. The winner takes home a cash prize and a copy of the screenwriting software Final Draft. The program is followed by the Festival Party — Food, drink, music.
* REMOTE AREA MEDICAL (3:30 p.m. Sunday, August 25) Guest Filmmakers Jeff Reichert and Farihah Zaman will be on hand to answer questions following the screening of their film that focuses on Americans who struggle without health insurance and the compassionate work of the health care workers who volunteer to serve them.
* BIG WORDS (6 p.m. Sunday, August 25) On the night of Barack Obama’s election, three friends — once members of a promising hip-hop group — struggle with regret, disappointment and change. Scheduled in conjunction with the African American Cultural Festival.
* FILMDAYTON AWARDS (8 p.m. Sunday, August 25, The Neon)
* BIG LENS FILM FESTIVAL (7:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 22, The Neon) The world premiere of six new films from Wright State’s award winning film program A Q&A follows with the film-makers.
How to Go:
What: The 5th Annual Eichelberger FilmDayton Festival
When: Thursday, Aug. 22 through Sunday, Aug. 25
Featuring: Screenings of award-winning and locally-connected films, professional workshops, parties, contests.
Where: Neon Movies, 130 E. Fifth St., Dayton.
Admission: An All-Access Pass (good for all workshops, screenings, and special events) are $75.00. A Flex Pass (Three Events) is $22.00. Single Tickets are $9.00. Both single tickets and weekend passes are available and can be purchased at www.filmdayton.com
SEE THE VIDEO: Watch a short video —“Introducing the Eichelberger FilmDayton Festival” — at http://youtu.be/mIt7vM6p-Ws or check out FilmDayton’s YouTube page.