Since 1981, country music fanatics in Ohio and surrounding states have flocked to Hickory Hills Lakes, 7103 Ohio 55, in Fort Loramie to check out some of the hottest modern acts from Nashville. The tradition continues this summer when the annual Country Concert in the Hills returns to the 500-acre facility about 55 miles north of Dayton this Thursday through Saturday, July 11-13.
This year’s top names include headliners Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley and Dierks Bentley, along with Jake Owen, Little Big Town, Chris Young and others. Music begins at 6 p.m. Thursday, 4 p.m. Friday and noon Saturday.
Test your knowledge of some of the popular modern country artists participating in this huge annual festival.
1. Which animated series below has Brad Paisley worked on as a voiceover actor?
A: “The Simpsons” B: “Dora the Explorer”
C: “Family Guy” D: “South Park”
2. Although he has lived in Nashville since 1994, which festival performer was born in Arizona and attended a prestigious private school in New Jersey?
A: Jason Aldean B: Phillip Sweet of Little Big Town
C: Dierks Bentley D: Jake Owen
3. What is the title of Chris Young’s new single?
A: “Cruise” B: “Aw Naw”
C: “Danny’s Song” D: “Highway Don’t Care”
4. Which act released the Grammy-nominated, CMA-winning album “My Kind of Party” in 2010?
A: Jason Aldean B: Chris Young
C: Jake Owen D: Brad Paisley
5. Although he has never won, Dierks Bentley has been nominated for multiple Grammy Awards. What is the exact number?
A: 6 B: 8
C: 10 D: 12
6. Which performer has a fraternal twin named Jarrod?
A: Jason Aldean B: Kellie Pickler
C: Colt Ford D: Jake Owen
7. What is the title of Little Big Town’s first number one single?
A: “Boondocks” B: “Pontoon”
C: “Fine Line” D: “Bring it On Home”
8. Which festival performer was the winner of the USA Network program “Nashville Star” in 2006?
A: Chris Young B: Jake Owen
C: Chris Cagle D: Colt Ford
9. Which country superstar has created his own signature brand of guitar overdrive pedals with manufacturer Wampler Pedals?
A: Chris Young B: Brad Paisley
C: Jake Owen D: Dierks Bentley
10. Jason Aldean won the CMA Award for Musical Event of the Year in 2011 for his duet with which “American Idol” winner?
A: Carrie Underwood B: Taylor Hicks
C: Kelly Clarkson D: Fantasia Barrino
11. Which act released the platinum album “The Road to Here” in 2005?
A: Brad Paisley B: Chris Young
C: Dierks Bentley D: Little Big Town
12. Which one of these songs from Jake Owen’s debut album from 2006 was NOT a Top 20 country hit?
A: “Ghosts” B: “Startin’ with Me”
C: “Yee Haw” D: “Something About a Woman”
Answer key: 1D, 2C, 3B, 4A, 5C, 6D, 7B, 8A, 9B, 10C, 11D, 12A
Contact contributing arts and music writer Don Thrasher at email@example.com.
HOW TO GO
What: Country Concert in the Hills featuring headliners Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley and Dierks Bentley, with Jake Owen, Little Big Town, Chris Young and others
Where: Hickory Hills Lakes, 7103 Ohio 55, Fort Loramie
When: Thursday through Saturday, July 11-13. Music begins at 6 p.m. Thursday, 4 p.m. Friday and noon Saturday
Cost: General admission $99 Thursday and Friday, $109 Saturday. $199 two-day pass (Friday and Saturday) and $218 three-day pass. Reserved seats $119 Thursday and Friday, $134 Saturday and $248 three-day pass. Platinum seats $164 Thursday and Friday, $174 Saturday and $269 three-day pass. Platinum plus, VIP plus and Club Reserved $344 three-day passes. Stage front seats $269, $519 three-day pass (no meals) and $589 three-day pass (with meals)
More info: (937) 295-3000 or www.countryconcert.com