Steele High School is the centerpiece of a view of the south side of the Great Miami River photographed in 1897.
The early Dayton high school, located at the corner of Main and Monument Streets, was named for Robert Steele, a Dayton educator. The structure was razed in 1955 to make room for a parking garage.
This view of downtown is the subject of this week's update to the popular Then & Now photo feature, which explores past and present views of notable Dayton locations.
At the far left side of the photograph is Newcom Tavern, one of Dayton’s earliest structures.
Originally built in 1796 at the southwest corner of Main and Water (now Monument) streets, the building was moved to the levee along the river when a new apartment building (far right) was built in 1894.
Today the CareSource building stands in place of the high school and Newcom Tavern is on display at Carillon Park.