breaking news

I-675 wrong-way crash: What we know about the victims

Judge: Kettering fatal shooting victim’s urn OK in court before trial


The judge overseeing the adult murder case against a 17-year-old Kettering defendant has denied an attempt to get the Fairmont High School victim’s urn barred from the courtroom.

The container holding Ronnie Bowers’ remains and other displays of support, however, will be prohibited during the trial of Kylen Gregory, according to the judge’s ruling.

RELATED: Judge restricts media access in Kettering homicide case

Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Langer said “spectator displays during pretrial proceedings” will not impact Gregory’s right to a fair trial.

The urn holding Bowers’ ashes became an issue earlier this year in a January juvenile court hearing to decide if Gregory would be tried as an adult in the September 2016 shooting death of the 16-year-old Bowers.

Gregory’s attorney objected after Bowers’ family brought the urn into the courtroom, saying it would prejudice the case. Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi said the urn would not sway any decision by him.

RELATED: Judge blocks records in Kettering teen homicide case

Gregory is being tried as an adult in the shooting of Bowers Sept. 4, 2016 on Willowdale Avenue shortly after both separately left AlterFest. Bowers died two days later of a gunshot wound to the head and his death was ruled a homicide.

Gregory was indicted in August on two counts of murder, four counts of felonious assault with a deadly weapon and two related charges, court records show.

A hearing in the case is scheduled for Friday afternoon.

-MORE COVERAGE OF THIS CASE:

RELATED: Judge sets $1 million bond for teen charged in Kettering homicide

RELATED: Teen accused in Kettering homicide seeks high-profile attorney

RELATED: Key people in the homicide case of a Fairmont student

RELATED: Key points in homicide of Fairmont student

RELATED: Kettering teen indicted on adult charges in homicide of Fairmont student



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Second trial begins Monday for Lebanon man accused of father’s murder
Second trial begins Monday for Lebanon man accused of father’s murder

A Lebanon man charged with murdering his father in December is to stand trial for the second time next week. On Monday, Warren County prosecutors dropped two of four charges pending against Freddie Green, 43, of Lebanon in the case stemming from the shooting death of Sidney Green, 64, on Dec. 2. RELATED: Accused murderer to remain in jail after split...
Opioid Probe: Why Springboro drug distributor is under fed scrutiny
Opioid Probe: Why Springboro drug distributor is under fed scrutiny

A Springboro firm is in the national spotlight after a string of lawsuits, a Congressional investigation, and a new media report that it benefited from weakened federal drug enforcement. Miami-Luken, a pharmaceutical drugs distributor, is accused of playing a role in flooding West Virginia with more high power painkillers than its residents could safely...
Appeals court hears New Miami speed camera case
Appeals court hears New Miami speed camera case

Judging from the questions 12th District Court of Appeals judges asked during a hearing Monday, it looks like the only relevant question now is how much money New Miami owes speeders caught by the unconstitutional speed camera program. After New Miami’s attorney James Englert told the court the speeding fines were obtained legally, one of the...
Actor Gerard Butler rushed to hospital after motorcycle accident
Actor Gerard Butler rushed to hospital after motorcycle accident

Actor Gerard Butler is recovering from injuries he received in a recent motorcycle accident in Los Angeles. Butler, 47, crashed his bike after he was run off the road by a car, he told Entertainment Tonight Monday. “I was going along the road doing my thing and this lady decided to go from parked on the other side of the road to an...
Untitled Han Solo project now has a name
Untitled Han Solo project now has a name

The untitled Han Solo project is untitled no more. Oscar-winning director Ron Howard has announced that the “Star Wars” movie he’s been making has been officially named “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” >> Read more trending news Howard also announced that principal photography has finished and that the movie will hit theaters...
More Stories