Once each year, a group of folks who enjoy cooking for a cause, offer their culinary talents to the Dayton Peace Museum.
The story you’re reading is premium content for subscribers of the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News. Not a subscriber? Get total access to all our in-depth news and exclusive content here.
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com all week — weekly digital pass$3.99 per week
Subscribe for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
JOHN FLEMING’S WHITE NAVY BEAN SOUP
- 1 16-ounce package white beans
- large ham hock
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Soak the beans overnight in water. Boil the ham hock in water or chicken stock until well done. Dice ham hock and return to pot. Dice the onion and add to the pot, adjust the liquid to two quarts. Bring the beans to a boil, drain and add the hot beans to the stock. Cook until beans turn soupy. Add pepper, salt to taste. Add hot sauce if desired. Serve with corn bread.
SPOTLIGHTING GOOD COOKS THROUGHOUT REGION
In this weekly food feature, Life reporter Meredith Moss chats with cooks throughout southwest Ohio who have a passion for food and are willing to share advice and recipes.
If you know a terrific cook — either amateur or professional — please send your suggestion to Meredith: MMoss@coxohio.com Please include a daytime phone number.
How To Go
- What: Cool Soups for a Hot Cause, a benefit luncheon for the Dayton Peace Museum
- When: 11:30 to 1 p.m., Friday, Sept. 13
- Where: Christ Episcopal Church, 20 West First St., Dayton, from 11:30 am to 1 p.m.
- Featuring: Homemade soups, breads, salads, desserts. Call the Museum at (937) 227-3223 or go to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donation: $20.
- For reservations: Call the museum at (937) 227-3223 or go to email@example.com