Brian Whitten spent more than half of his life overweight.
The story you’re reading is premium content for subscribers of the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News. Not a subscriber? Get total access to all our in-depth news and exclusive content here.
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com all week — weekly digital pass$3.99 per week
Subscribe for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
Brian Whitten’s tips for getting into shape:
• Consult your physician before starting any major weight-loss attempts.
• Diets only work while you’re on them, but a lifestyle change lasts forever.
• Shop only the outer ring of the grocery store, and don’t eat it if you can’t pronounce it.
• It never gets easier, you just go faster.
• Work-out with other people if you can. It gives you people to talk to, makes it easier and makes you feel like you’re working toward a common goal.
FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE
The Dayton Daily News Neighbors section is your destination every Thursday to read good news about your neighbors, your friends, your schools and your community.