“How do we get through this?”
The story you’re reading is premium content for subscribers of the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News. Not a subscriber? Get total access to all our in-depth news and exclusive content here.
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com all week — weekly digital pass$3.99 per week
Subscribe for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
Tips for negotiating with lenders, providers
Chris Buck of Life Plan Financial Group in Dayton offers the following tips for working with lenders and service providers to help reduce costs and keep credit scores healthy.
- Before negotiating, check your credit report at freecreditreport.com or another source.
- Get offers or deals from multiple agencies and use them as leverage.
- Give the agency an incentive to help you out. Remember that in most cases, they want your business.
- Some good phrases: “This is what my current bank/provider is offering. Can we do better?” “Is that the best you can do?”
Local and federal resources
The following programs offer support for families dealing with tough financial times:
- AFMC Wellness Support and Civilian Health Promotion Services: Health education and stress management programs and more for WPAFB civilian employees. www.AFMCWellness.com or (937) 904-9355.
- Airman and Family Readiness Center: Services include financial counseling, employment assistance, job fairs and more: (937) 257-3592.
- WPAFB Base Thrift Shop, Building 1083, Hemlock Street, Kittyhawk Area.
- Link to more helping agencies on the base: www.wpafb.af.mil/units/ids/index.asp
- Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund: May provide bill payment assistance. www.feea.org
- Food Banks: Beavercreek Fish, 937-222-5444; Feeding Friends (Centerville), 937-434-4580; Fairborn Fish, 937-879-1313; Food Bank of Montgomery and Greene County, 937-461-0265; Second Harvest Food Bank (Clark, Champaign and Logan counties), 937-323-6507; Good Samaritan Outreach Center (Springfield), 937-323-2323.
- The Community Action Partnership of the Greater Dayton Area (Darke, Greene, Montgomery, Preble and Warren counties): Can assist with utility bills: 866-504-7379
- Miami County Community Action Council: 937-339-1431
- Butler County Support to Encourage Low-Income Families: 513-868-9300
Faith-based assistance agencies:
- Food stamps and WIC: www.benefitsapplication.com
- USAJOBS: The U.S. government’s official system for federal jobs and employment information: https://www.usajobs.gov/
- Ohio Department of Job and Family Services: http://jfs.ohio.gov
- The Job Center (Montgomery County): 937-496-6720, www.thejobcenter.org
- GreeneWorks Employment and Training Center: 937-562-6565
- The Job Center of Miami County: 937-440-3465
- Butler County Job Center: 513-785-6500
- WORKPLUS Center (Springfield): 937-327-1961
The Dayton Daily News is committed to providing up-to-date news and information about the sequester and its impact on both Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and our community. Turn to Life for advice and information aimed to help impacted employees and their families navigate these difficult times.