The Good Neighbor House is a non-profit, faith-based, human development organization that provides health, nutrition and education services to the underserved in the Miami Valley.
The organization has recently moved to a new location in downtown Dayton and is always in need of a wide variety of items — from clothing and household items to food.
“For our layette project, we give a baby shower-in-a-bag that we give to our mothers who are in need,” said assistant director Marcia Ehlers, whose 91-year-old mother volunteers to come each week to the Good Neighbor House to assemble the bags.
Here’s a great idea that other organizations might want to copy: The British Wives Club in our area is holding a baby shower for Princess Katie at one of their homes and bringing baby gifts “lightly wrapped” so they can open them at the party and show them to one another.
“The gifts will then be donated to the Good Neighbor House for the layette project,” Ehlers explained. Your organization might want to consider doing something similar.
Here’s a list of needed items:
For the Layette Project
Gently used items or new items are accepted.
• Baby bottles (new only)
• Baby toiletries (shampoo, powder, lotion etc..)
• Diapers for babies up to size one
• Sleepers (size 0-9 months)
• Bassinet sheets
• Crib sheets
• Baby washcloths
• Soup (canned soups or Ramen noodles)
• Snacks (chips, pretzels, crackers, popcorn)
• Breakfast items (cereal, breakfast bars, pop tarts)
• Dessert items: (cake mixes, cookies, Jell-O, candy bars etc)
• Snack items: (popcorn, crackers, chips of all kinds)
• Canned meats: (tuna, chicken etc..)
• Toothpaste, toothbrushes
• Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
Household Items (can be gently used)
• Pots and Pans
• Dishes and Bowls
• Sheets, (especially twin and full) blankets and pillows
• Gently used towels, wash clothes.
• Socks (men’s, children’s and ladies)
• Underwear (men’s, children’s and ladies including thermal)
• Gently used seasonal clothing
• Scarves, hats and gloves during winter.
• Toilet paper
• Facial tissues
• Paper towels
Your donations can be taken to Good Neighbor House, 627 E. First St., in downtown Dayton from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Monetary donations can be sent to Good Neighbor House, 627 E. First St., Dayton, OH 45402.
For more information, www.goodneighborhouse.org or call (937) 224-3003
Helping Our Community Make a Difference
Make a Difference publishes the wish lists of nonprofit organizations, connecting our readers with those groups that are in need of new or gently-used items. If your organization would like to be included, send details to Meredith Moss: MMoss@coxohio.com. Include a daytime phone number.