Yes, small kittens and puppies can be adorable and cute, but a lot of work comes with owning and training younger animals. Senior pets get overlooked all the time at shelters, but these animals are just as deserving and sometimes do even better in a home than some of their younger counterparts. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider adopting a senior pet from the shelter.
1. Older pets have manners. Typically, older dogs and cats have already lived in a home for a period in their lives and have been socialized with humans. Because of this, most know basic commands or are potty-trained, which can relieve some unneeded training and stress that may come from introducing them into a new home.
2. Older pets are less destructive. If you are looking for a relaxed and calm animal, then a senior pet is perfect for you. Typically, older pets are past the search-and-destroy stage that many younger animals go through. They have learned that shoes are made for walking and that bones are made for chewing.
3. Older pets come with no surprises. Adult animals have already grown into their size, shape and personality. There is no guessing with how big they will get or how they will act when they are older because what you see is what you’re going to get.
4. Older pets make wonderful companions for elderly. Many elderly find that having calmer pets around them can be comforting. They are looking for an animal that understand them and moves through life at a slower pace. Older animals aren’t filled with an overabundance of energy to burn and prefer a more relaxed and easy-going atmosphere.
5. Older pets are used to human schedules. Since most senior pets have already been socialized with humans, they understand the idea of a routine schedule. They can comprehend that humans sometimes go out for a while, but they always come back. Typically, they are also easier to adjust to new routines and schedules in your life.
Looking for a perfect senior pet? Peaches has been at our shelter for more than two years and she is 11 years old. She gets along so well with all people, but prefers to be the center of attention so she would need a home with no other pets. She is loyal, loving and an all-round great gal. Now, all she needs is you! Check out Peaches video now by visiting http://youtu.be/HyWcWHUwVhQ.