It’s tough to ignore the puppy-dog eyes or the little paw taps of your beloved pets as they beg for a few scraps off your dinner plate, but feeding your pet certain foods can do more harm than good. Some foods that are perfectly fine for humans can be toxic to our pets.
To keep your pets healthy, here are a few people foods that you should never feed your pets.
Avocados: Your guacamole may not be complete without it, but the leaves, fruit and seeds of avocados contain something called Persin. This can cause your dogs to have severe diarrhea or vomiting. Rodents and birds can also become poisoned by avocados. It can cause them to have difficulty breathing and fluid can collect around their hearts.
Caffeine, chocolate and coffee: All three of these items contain a substance called methylxanthines. Although this may be hard to pronounce, the effects it has on your pet are clear. When your pet ingests this substance it can cause a slew of health problems including diarrhea, vomiting, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures and even death. The severity of your animal’s condition is a result of how much methylxanthines is consumed. Items like white chocolate have the least amount of this substance while items such as baking chocolates have the highest. To keep your pets safe, avoid giving these items to your pets all together.
Grapes and raisins: These tiny treats can wreak havoc on our four-legged friends. Although the toxic substance within them is unknown, it can cause kidney failure in your pet. If your pet has additional chronic issues, the health problems can be even more severe.
Macadamia nuts: Although these nuts may be good in your cookies, they are not good for your pets. When consumed, they can cause your pet to feel weak or depressed. They can also present health issues such as vomiting, tremors and hypothermia in dogs. Typically, symptoms can appear in your pet between 12 and 48 hours after they consume the nuts.
Onions, garlic and chives: They may add spice and flavor to your meals, but if given to your pets in large quantities, these items can lead to damage in your pet’s red blood cells and can also cause gastrointestinal irritation. Cats tend to be more susceptible to these health problems, but they can have a similar impact on dogs. The best option for you is to avoid giving your pets any food with these items in them.
Salt: Salt may seem like a minor thing, but large amounts given to pets can cause excessive thirst or even sodium ion poisoning. Skip the chips and give your pet an animal-friendly treat instead. Some signs your pet may have eaten too much salt include diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, an elevated body temperature or seizures. Too much salt could even lead to death, so keep the salty snacks far away!
Yeast dough: We all know that yeast dough will rise. If your pet consumes this, it will continue to rise in their stomachs, which can cause gas to build up in your pet’s digestives system. This gas can be very painful for your pet and can even cause the stomach or intestines to rupture. These dangers occur more when the dough is still raw. Once the dough is cooked, the threat of illness is diminished, and pets can have a small amount of bread as a treat, but this should only account for a very small percent of the food eaten in a day.
We all want to keep our pets healthy and safe. If at any time you believe your pet has consumed something that can be harmful, you should call your vet immediately.