You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myDaytonDailyNews.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myDaytonDailyNews.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myDaytonDailyNews.com.

2 boys sentenced for school bomb threats


Two more Warren County students were sentenced on Monday for making threats against their schools.

The boys, 12 and 14, were charged in two of the most recent threats this school year at schools in Warren County. They spent a total of 19 days in the Juvenile Detention Center (JDC).

“If students continue to make these threats, they are going to continue to spend time in JDC,” County Prosecutor David Fornshell said in a text message after Monday’s sentencings.

RELATED: School threats growing nationwide problem

Last year, about a dozen threats in the final weeks of the school year in the Springboro-, Lebanon- and Waynesville-area districts prompted a range of responses, including evacuations and the closing of Springboro High for one day.

Now there have been a handful of cases this year in the Springboro, Kings and Little Miami districts, as well as cases around the area and the rest of the U.S.

“Good grief, what in the world is going on?” Judge Joe Kirby said during a February hearing in the Springboro case.

RELATED: School threats growing nationwide problem

On Monday, Kirby ordered the letter-writing during hearings held in Warren County Juvenile Court in cases stemming from threats made at Springboro Junior High School and Little Miami High School.

Both boys were also placed on probation and ordered to do 20 hours of community service, engage in counseling and barred access to weapons. Each is also required to continue reporting to a day-time program at the detention center in Lebanon until allowed to return to school, to undergo counseling and pay $65 in court costs.

The 14-year-old Little Miami student was also sentenced for drug abuse and given credit for 13 days spent in detention. He made his threat on March 7 at the high school outside Morrow.

DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS FOR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

The 12-year-old from the Springboro district also received credit for six days in juvenile detention for making the threat on Feb 2 at Springboro Junior High.

RELATED: Springboro student avoids jail for bomb threat

Neither district offered comment on the cases.

Ed Perry, defense lawyer in the Springboro case, complimented Kirby and the school district for allowing the boy to continue his education, while expelled, thus barred from attending class in the district.

“Given the circumstances, we were happy with the outcome,” said Perry. “I do think the sentence imposed will make him a better person.”

FOLLOW LAWRENCE BUDD ON TWITTER



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Cincinnati club shooting: Dispute ‘escalated into shots being fired’
Cincinnati club shooting: Dispute ‘escalated into shots being fired’

The investigation into the shooting inside a crowded Cincinnati night club that killed one and wounded 15 others early Sunday morning will take a long time, said Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley. No arrests had been made as of Sunday evening, and Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac couldn’t confirm if any of the possible shooters were among those...
Madonna’s twins get first Barbie dolls, singer posts video
Madonna’s twins get first Barbie dolls, singer posts video

Madonna’s twins got their first Barbie dolls this weekend and the entertainer is sharing it with the world. >> Read more trending news The “Material Girl” posted adorable video of newly adopted twin daughters, Estere and Stelle playing with the dolls. In the short video posted on Instagram, the girls sang the Finger Family song...
Fairfield school board’s newest member: Business background an asset
Fairfield school board’s newest member: Business background an asset

Long-time school volunteer Carrie O’Neal’s path to a seat on the governing board of Fairfield Schools started with tragedy. In December, veteran school board member Jerome Kearns died. The father of three, who was also assistant director of Butler County Job and Family Services, then had his elected school board seat filled by a unanimous...
Cincinnati’s deadly night club shooting: What we know now
Cincinnati’s deadly night club shooting: What we know now

Early Sunday morning, gunfire broke out at the Cameo nightclub in Cincinnati, killing one man and wounding more than a dozen others. Here are five things we know now about this deadly shooting: The man who died in the shooting has been identified as O’Bryan Spikes, 27, of Cincinnati. There were 15 other victims wounded by gunfire, including two...
3 things to know about Cameo, site of deadly night club shooting
3 things to know about Cameo, site of deadly night club shooting

At least one person has died and another 15 were injured following a shooting at Cameo Night Club in Cincinnati early Sunday morning, according to the Cincinnati Police Department. Police were called to Cameo in the 4600 block of Kellogg Avenue around 1:30 a.m. on a report of a shooting. Here’s what we know so far about the night club. Cincinnati...
More Stories