You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myDaytonDailyNews.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myDaytonDailyNews.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myDaytonDailyNews.com.

Huber Heights mayor facing second recall attempt

Mayor Tom McMasters attributed the effort to residents who like to “start controversy.”


Five Huber Heights residents are attempting to recall first-term Mayor Tom McMasters — the second such effort in as many years — but the mayor says he welcomes the publicity as a way to boost his congressional campaign.

The individuals representing the Huber Residents for Sound Leadership PAC filed the notice this week with the Huber Heights Clerk of Council’s office, along with a $50 check to initiate the recall. This newspaper obtained the document Wednesday morning under Ohio records law.

Those individuals — Mari Caperton, Wheeler Goley, Jennifer Corbett, Kimberly Kozlowski and Daniel White — offered no explanation Wednesday for their effort, declining at this time to discuss their campaign to unseat the city’s top elected official.

“We will be coming out with a formalized statement in the near future and that’s the extent to what I want to share with you today,” White said by phone Wednesday morning. “It’s amazing how news travels in this town.”

McMasters took office in January 2014 and is serving a term expiring in December 2017, but he has made no secret of his intention to seek higher office. The mayor is an independent candidate for the U.S. House seat held by Rep. Mike Turner, R-Dayton.

McMasters was encouraged by the new found case of publicity.

“The more publicity you give them (the petitioners), the more my name gets out there, and there won’t be any comprehensible reason for what they’re doing,” McMasters said. “It’s unfortunate we have this element within the city that likes to start controversy.”

The Huber Residents for Sound Leadership group would need to obtain more than 1,600 valid signatures in order to put the recall on the November general election ballot.

Because of low voter turnout in the last gubernatorial general election, fewer signatures are required than the 2,043 signatures required to recall the mayor during a previous, unsuccessful effort organized by different citizens. That 2014 effort did not make the ballot.

That year, petitioners cited grievances of McMasters’ alleged misunderstanding of tax increment financing; attaching a memo to city manager Rob Schommer’s contract stating his disapproval; and not signing legislation after it was passed by council.

Since then, McMasters has been center to additional issues including a censure from city council; a complaint by 10 city staff including the city manager which resulted in no penalty; a complaint filed with the NAACP against him for refusal to sign travel requests; and calling Councilman Ed Lyons “the stupidest person I think I ever met and a sleazeball.”

The comments exchanged between McMasters and Lyons were characterized by recall petition committee member Caperton as giving the city “negative exposure,” according to minutes from the March 28 council meeting during which she made public comments.

Earlier that month, White and Goley applied for seats on the city’s new Charter Review Commission, according to records reviewed by this newspaper. Neither was appointed to the board.

Staff Writer Steven Matthews and WHIO-TV reporter Lauren Clark contributed to this report.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Politics

State softens plan to punish employers for not allowing guns on sites
State softens plan to punish employers for not allowing guns on sites

On Wednesday, the Ohio legislature reversed a plan to allow lawsuits for monetary damages if businesses violate a new law allowing concealed carry permit holders to bring guns onto other people’s property. After an outcry from business groups, the provision was changed in the state budget. The budget now goes to Ohio Gov. John Kasich. Last week...
VP Mike Pence in Cleveland promises replacement of ‘Obamacare’
VP Mike Pence in Cleveland promises replacement of ‘Obamacare’

Vice President Mike Pence said the administration is still working to pull Ohio Senator Rob Portman from “no” to “yes” on President Trump’s healthcare overhaul, which failed to receive a vote after Majority Leader Mitch McConnell pulled it Tuesday for lack of Republican support. Pence was visiting Cleveland...
A council member's solution to his Ohio town's overdose problem: Let addicts die
A council member's solution to his Ohio town's overdose problem: Let addicts die

Under a plan by a city council member in Ohio, people who dial 911 seeking help for someone who's overdosing on opioids may start hearing something new from dispatchers: "No." In response to the opioid epidemic that swept the nation - including the small city of Middletown, population 50,000 - Council member Dan Picard has floated an idea...
Ohio Senate passes Judy’s Law, day after burn victim dies
Ohio Senate passes Judy’s Law, day after burn victim dies

The day after Judy Malinowski died, the Ohio Senate voted to toughen penalties for people who disfigure crime victims. Malinowski was set on fire by her ex-boyfriend and had been hospitalized for nearly two years. The bill, which would allow longer prison sentences for crimes that disfigure victims, now heads to Gov. John Kasich. Franklin County Prosecutor...
Lawmakers pass freeze on new Medicaid signups, sets up showdown with governor
Lawmakers pass freeze on new Medicaid signups, sets up showdown with governor

A Medicaid enrollment freeze included in the state budget approved on Wednesday by the Ohio legislature could cause more than 500,000 Ohioans to lose coverage under expanded Medicaid rules in place since 2014, according to Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s Office of Health Transformation. The legislature voted along party lines for the $133 billion 2018-2019...
More Stories