UPDATE @ 8:40 p.m.: A man got himself and his mother out of their burning house, which began with overheated grease, said Battalion Chief Darrin Wiseman, Harrison Twp. Fire Department.
The man was in the basement when his mother, who was in a bedroom of the home on Greenhill Road, alerted him that she smelled smoke.
Wiseman said the man had to use a fire extinguisher to fight his way upstairs and through flames and smoke to get to his mother. Fire crews arrived to find them outside. One of them was taken to a hospital as a precaution, the other turned down a trip to a hospital.
The fire, which gutted the kitchen and sent smoke throughout the house, caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, Wiseman said.
Crews initially were dispatched on a report of a structure fire with a person trapped.
Two people are reportedly in the care of emergency medical crews following a kitchen fire at a home in the 100 block of Greenhill Road.
Crews were dispatched on a report of a structure fire about 5:50 p.m.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Area woman witnesses scene outside Fla. school
The fire has been put out, we're hearing.
We will update this report as we get information.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org