Health plan projected to save Butler County tax dollars


A new self-insured health plan will save Butler County taxpayers about $500,000 and could bring additional savings in the future, according to county officials.

Butler County has seen double-digit premium hikes in recent years because of some unusually high claims. The increase for this year was projected at $2.1 million, but it turned out to be only about $1.8 million, according to Human Resources Director Jim Davis.

Next year, with the self-insurance plan, Davis said he is expecting the total premium to be about $15.5 million — a $500,000 savings over this year. The county is paying 82 percent of the cost and the employees the rest.

“Basically, we took this health care program apart and constructed something that’s out of the box, out of the norm, but should save millions of dollars in the long haul for the taxpayers,” Commissioner Don Dixon said. “And guarantee our employees great benefits for a reasonable cost.”

Davis said under the new self-insured plan the county pays an administrative fee and the claims themselves. There is a stop-gap feature so if claims top the $175,000 mark the insurance carrier picks up the costs for anything over that amount. In years past they would get between five to 10 “stop-gap” claims. There has been only one so far this year.

Davis said he is excited to work with the county’s new provider, Meritain, a subsidiary of Aetna, because of the savings opportunities.

“Meritain has some programs to encourage wellness, to encourage conscientious selection of providers. That put real incentives in front of employees,” he said.

Davis said he can tell employees are starting to take real ownership of their health care plan because he has seen evidence of people doing their own investigating and choosing the less expensive medical choices, which saves everyone money.

As the commissioners watched insurance rates continue to grow, they stepped up their wellness program which has been a big help, according to Commissioner T.C. Rogers. The national participation rate for wellness programs is around 15 percent, but Rogers said the employees active in the county’s program is 40 percent or better. He and Dixon praised Commissioner Cindy Carpenter for pushing for the program.

“Commissioner Carpenter was relentless I would say is the term, for the wellness program and the success is due in large part by that determination,” Dixon said.

Last year the quoted premium for 2016 was estimated at $16.78 million, and county employees who are on the health and dental plan as well as the county both shouldered the increase. The county didn’t increase the percentage of the total premium their people pay as they did two years ago.

Two years ago, when the first double digit premium was quoted, the commissioners made a deliberate decision to try to get spouses off their health plan, to try and reduce the rates. In 2014 the county saw spouses rack up $958,122 in 247 claims; employees submitted $873,997 in 471 claims and bills paid for 56 children amounted to $101,669. The commissioners shifted payment responsibility from 78/22 percent to 75/25 percent, with the county paying the larger portion and added a $60 per month tobacco premium.

Davis said there are 227 smokers on the plan — up from 162 when the premium was imposed — 1,330 employees are on the health care plan and 254 waived insurance.

Commissioners approved the final year contract with its health insurance consortium, the County Employee Benefits Consortium of Ohio (CEBCO), one year ago, including a 12.6 percent premium hike and kept the $60 per month surcharge for tobacco users — which is still a provision in the health plan.

From June 2013 through May 31, 2014 the county paid $14 million in premiums but CEBCO paid out $16.7 million for claims, so last fall, for the second year in a row, it imposed a double-digit rate hike.

Davis says the prime mover behind the rate hikes has been just some really large, once-in-a-lifetime claims in the past few years. They had a single $5 million claim in 2013 and a $3 million month in November 2015.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Table 33 restaurant reportedly robbed in downtown Dayton
Table 33 restaurant reportedly robbed in downtown Dayton

Dayton police are investigating after a reported robbery at the Table 33 restaurant on West Second Street this afternoon. Initial dispatch reports indicated a suspect entered the restaurant, 130 W. Second St., around 5 p.m. and demanded cash from the register. There are reports the suspect, who was described as wearing a red t-shirt and camo pants...
8 hot cars at the Dayton Auto Show
8 hot cars at the Dayton Auto Show

Gleaming under the lights at the 2018 Dayton Auto Show, which opened today at the Dayton Convention Center, 22 E. Fifth St., are several hundred high-tech cars, family-friendly minivans and crossovers, rugged trucks and plush luxury vehicles, plus multiple attractions. You’ll see not only great vehicles but may win something worth upwards of...
Dayton urges communities to push Wright-Patt for action on water
Dayton urges communities to push Wright-Patt for action on water

Dayton has called on neighboring communities to send a message to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base to more urgently resolve concerns over the potential threat of contamination of a drinking water aquifer from tainted groundwater. The city has urged city managers to join it in signing a letter asking the base’s commander to act quickly prior to...
Soybean hauling pickup involved in 3-vehicle crash in Shelby County
Soybean hauling pickup involved in 3-vehicle crash in Shelby County

A farm wagon hauling soybean bushels detached from a pickup truck causing a three-vehicle crash on Ohio 66 south of Newport in Shelby County this afternoon. The cleanup from the crash, located near Rangeline Road, was ongoing at 4:30 p.m.  Authorities said the pickup truck was driving when the farm wagon detached and collided with a dump truck...
67-year-old Jane Seymour poses for ‘Playboy,’ ‘I feel much sexier now’
67-year-old Jane Seymour poses for ‘Playboy,’ ‘I feel much sexier now’

Elegant actress Jane Seymour is about to grace the pages of “Playboy” magazine at 67-years-old. >> Read more trending news  The former Bond girl took to social media Wednesday to share a modest photograph from her upcoming spread in the iconic men’s magazine. “I’m thrilled to finally share this with you! I was...
More Stories