You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myDaytonDailyNews.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myDaytonDailyNews.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myDaytonDailyNews.com.

Riverside city council permanently barred from removing councilman


Riverside City Council is permanently enjoined from removing Councilman Steve Fullenkamp under the current provisions of the city charter, a judge found.

Fullenkamp considers the ruling a victory after he sued the city during an attempt by his fellow council members to remove him from office. He said attempting to remove an elected official from office is “very serious” and hopes other municipalities think twice before making a similar attempt.

MORE: Dispute emerges between Riverside police chief, councilman

“I feel that the charges were unfounded and flimsy from the beginning, and I feel like I did the right thing by defending myself against these charges by the rest of city council and staff,” he said.

The controversy surrounding Fullenkamp’s attempted removal deeply divided the Dayton suburb of 25,000 residents, and it cost the city more than $40,000 in legal fees to hire a special counsel. The matter resulted in heated city council meetings and frustration among residents and city staff.

A Montgomery County Common Pleas Court judge previously issued a preliminary injunction, which is now permanent. Fullenkamp and his co-plaintiffs — a host of city residents who opposed the councilman’s removal — withdrew the lawsuit with prejudice March 31.

Riverside Law Director Dalma Grandjean said the “city is gratified the case has been concluded” and its “elected officials look forward to working together” on a number of issues.

EARLIER: Judge sides with Riverside councilman facing removal attempt

When filed, the plaintiffs said they sought compensatory and punitive damages in excess of $25,000, though the final settlement does not pay damages. The city will cover Fullenkamp’s legal fees by paying $75,000 to Brannon & Associates, though most of the sum will be covered by the city’s insurance carrier.

In June, Police Chief Frank Robinson alleged Fullenkamp attempted to intervene during a criminal investigation. Two other complaints involved Fullenkamp allegedly telling Director of Planning Brock Taylor he should have disregarded the instructions of the city manager in a long-standing zoning dispute.

Taylor and Vice Mayor Mike Smith complained, with Smith alleging Fullenkamp’s statements were an improper interference with city administration under the charter.

In September, Fullenkamp and the 11 other co-plaintiffs called the remaining council members “evil-minded defendants” whose conduct “has been extreme and outrageous, which no person in a civilized and democratic society should be caused to endure.”

More coverage of the lawsuit against Riverside:

» 2 co-plaintiffs die during lawsuit against Riverside City Council

» Riverside won’t remove councilman as judge weighs constitutionality



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Two men arrested following dispute over car repossession
Two men arrested following dispute over car repossession

A dispute between an man attempting to "repo" a vehicle and the vehicle’s owner involved an argument, a threat, and shots fired at a residence in the area of State Route 571 and Rangeline Road in Miami County. Detectives later executed a search warrant on the home where the owner, 34-year-old, Matt Naff, was arrested and jailed. The...
Lyme disease: Ticks may be trouble this year
Lyme disease: Ticks may be trouble this year

In the past five years, cases of Lyme disease have more than doubled in Ohio as the tick population has surged. That means parents should take some extra steps this year to avoid the little critter. “Ticks can carry Lyme disease, as well as several other diseases” says Bethany Linegang, RN, MSN, infection preventionist at Dayton Children&rsquo...
Police: Mom admits shooting two kids, asking third to help with bodies
Police: Mom admits shooting two kids, asking third to help with bodies

Claudena Marie Helton crossed her handcuffed arms and stared in one direction Monday as a municipal court judge set her bond at $1 million during a video arraignment. The 30-year-old Dayton mother accused of shooting her 8-year-old daughter Khmorra and 6-year-old son Kaiden in the head — and asking her third child to help drag their bodies outside...
New Boonshoft Museum exhibit gives visitors real-time view of global weather patterns
New Boonshoft Museum exhibit gives visitors real-time view of global weather patterns

Every day, our Storm Center 7 team shows you the weather around the Miami Valley and beyond. We show you where there are clouds, when the rain will hit and how to prepare for severe weather. Now, our Storm Center 7 team would like to invite you to see our planet in a whole new way through a partnership with the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery and the...
Middletown picks top Lakota official as new superintendent
Middletown picks top Lakota official as new superintendent

One of the rising stars of Lakota Local Schools will become the new leader of Middletown City Schools, the Journal-News was the first to report Monday. Marlon Styles Jr., the executive director of curriculum and instruction for Lakota, was chosen through unanimous vote by the Middletown Board of Education on Monday evening as the district’s next...
More Stories