breaking news

Magnitude 8.2 earthquake strikes off Alaska coast, tsunami warning issued

2 men, 1 an airport air traffic controller, charged with having pipe bomb in North Carolina


An air traffic controller at Charlotte Douglas International Airport received a homemade pipe bomb from his roommate, police said.

>> Read more trending news

The two Charlotte residents were charged with manufacturing and possessing a weapon of mass destruction.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers responded after someone called 911 about someone who was in possession of a homemade explosive device. 

Members of the CMPD Bomb Squad also responded and confirmed that it was a homemade pipe bomb. 

Derrick Fells, 30, constructed the device and admitted that he had made the bomb in order to use it against a neighbor during an ongoing dispute.

Fells changed his mind and gave it away to Paul George Dandon, 30, who was a full-time employee of the Federal Aviation Administration working out of Charlotte Douglas International Airport. 

Dandon is also a volunteer with the Long Creek Volunteer Fire Department.

“The FAA employee only had access to the offsite air traffic control tower and had no access to the restricted areas of the terminal or ramp,” airport officials said in a news release. “He did not have access to any aircraft at the Airport.” 

Detectives on Friday obtained warrants for both men and they were arrested.

Dandon was charged with possession of a weapon of mass destruction, acquiring a weapon of mass destruction and transporting a weapon of mass destruction.

Fells was charged with three counts of manufacturing a weapon of mass destruction and one count of possession of a weapon of mass destruction.

“The FAA has terminated the employee's access to the facility and is cooperating with law enforcement authorities,” FAA officials said in a news release.

Under North Carolina law, any explosive or incendiary devise is defined as a “weapon of mass destruction.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Georgia State soccer player withdraws from school after backlash over racial epithet
Georgia State soccer player withdraws from school after backlash over racial epithet

A Georgia State University soccer player who was suspended from the team after she used a racial epithet on social media has withdrawn from the school, officials said. Some students had called for the expulsion of 18-year-old freshman defender Natalia Martinez after the epithet appeared on her Finsta page, a secret version of Instagram that...
Florida woman, 81, smashes car into McDonald's: 'Glass flew everywhere'
Florida woman, 81, smashes car into McDonald's: 'Glass flew everywhere'

An 81-year-old woman suffered minor injuries after she lost control of her Toyota Solara and backed into the glass windows of a McDonald’s west of Boynton Beach, Florida, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. >> Read more Floridoh! stories The woman will be charged with careless driving, PBSO spokesperson Teri...
12-year-old charged as adult in armed carjacking at Walmart
12-year-old charged as adult in armed carjacking at Walmart

A 12-year-old boy in Lauderdale Lakes has been charged as an adult in a carjacking last week, Broward County Sheriff deputies said Monday.  >> Read more trending news  According to the sheriff’s office, Shaquille Dixon is one of three juveniles who carjacked an elderly woman at gunpoint on Jan. 15 in a Walmart parking lot. ...
Woman who killed two children in murder-suicide had no history of ‘mental problems’
Woman who killed two children in murder-suicide had no history of ‘mental problems’

Dozens of people gathered Sunday night in northwest Charlotte to remember three lives lost. Mourners lit candles and prayed for Isaiah and Iliyah Miller, as well as their mother, Christina Treadway, near their home on Sebastiani Drive. Police said Treadway killed her two children before killing herself along Interstate 485 earlier this month...
Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse
Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse

Authorities are releasing more information about the California “torture house” where over a dozen children were kept in subhuman conditions by their parents, including that the victims kept journals. >> Read more trending news  Though the children in the home, ages 2 to 29, were only allowed to bathe twice a year and eat...
More Stories