You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myDaytonDailyNews.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myDaytonDailyNews.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myDaytonDailyNews.com.

Town bans adult clown costumes from Halloween festival


Belmont, North Carolina, officials are taking action in response to growing fear about scary clown sightings across the United States by banning adults from wearing clown costumes at the city's Halloween event.

Emily Gaddis, who was with her daughter at Stowe Park, said she's OK with banning the costume at this year’s Boo Festival.

>> Target pulls clown masks from store shelves, online

"As a mother, I would say, just you got to take everything seriously,” she said. “As crazy as it is, you can't blame people for doing what they're doing."

Suspicious clown sightings and threats have been reported around the Carolinas, but most reports have proved unfounded.

However, police arrested Travis Pressley of Indian Trail more than a week ago; he was wearing clown makeup, had a hatchet and marijuana and would not leave a convenience store, officers said.

Target has pulled clown masks off store shelves and online just weeks before Halloween.

>> Read more trending stories

A spokesman for the retailer said the decision was made because of the "creepy clown" scare that has been gripped the nation.

Morris Costumes on Monroe Road in Charlotte had plenty of costumes for sale, and staffers said they're going to keep them in stock.

Owner Sean Morris said his clown costume sales are up.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Prince Philip back in the driver's seat with Queen Elizabeth II after hospitalization
Prince Philip back in the driver's seat with Queen Elizabeth II after hospitalization

Prince Philip is back behind the wheel following his brief hospitalization. Last week, the 96-year-old royal was hospitalized for a two-night stay for an infection stemming from a “pre-existing condition” but has since been released. According to People, he was spotted driving his wife, Queen Elizabeth II, on Sunday. The royal...
Trump zigs, Tillerson zags, putting him at odds with White House
Trump zigs, Tillerson zags, putting him at odds with White House

When Rex W. Tillerson, the former chief executive of Exxon Mobil, arrived in Washington five months ago to become the secretary of state, his boosters said he brought two valuable assets to a job that had usually gone to someone steeped in government and diplomacy: a long history managing a global company, and deep relationships from the Middle East...
Key Democrat agrees with Trump: Obama should have acted on hacks
Key Democrat agrees with Trump: Obama should have acted on hacks

Rep. Adam Schiff and President Donald Trump don't agree on much about Russia's meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections, but they agree on this: former President Barack Obama should have done more to stop Moscow from intervening. Obama made a "very serious mistake" in not doing more about Russia's intervention in the presidential election campaign...
Trump's agenda: Approving private projects, including those of allies
Trump's agenda: Approving private projects, including those of allies

Just four days after he was inaugurated, President Donald Trump delivered a clear message that he would use his office to help industry friends and political allies. He signed a Jan. 24 executive order that assured completion of the Dakota Access pipeline, which will transport oil fracked by various companies, including one owned by Oklahoma oilman...
Bloomberg’s next move: $200 million program for mayors
Bloomberg’s next move: $200 million program for mayors

Michael Bloomberg will throw his financial might into helping beleaguered American mayors, creating a $200 million philanthropic program aimed at backing inventive policies at the city level and giving mayors a stronger hand in national politics. Bloomberg intends to announce the initiative Monday in a speech to the U.S. Conference of Mayors in Miami...
More Stories