The Ohio Supreme Court has dismissed William Pace’s complaint against the city of Dayton and Montgomery County Board of Elections, ending his bid to earn write-in status as a candidate for Dayton City Commission in November.
The Supreme Court, without comment, granted the motions to dismiss that had been filed by the city and the BOE.
“We are exploring a lot of possibilities,” Pace said. “I have until Sept. 16 to ask for reconsideration of that decision, and I am in contact with my attorneys regarding what I will be doing.”
Pace first attempted to qualify for the May primary in the race for City Commission. He had enough signatures, but failed to sign an acceptance of candidacy on the petitions he turned in, so the Board of Elections ruled against him. He sought to have the BOE’s decision overturned in federal court, but lost that case.
Then Pace sued in the Ohio Supreme Court on a separate issue, attempting to get on the November ballot. He claimed, through attorney S. David Worhatch, that the city and BOE were wrongly interpreting the city charter to prohibit write-in candidates in general elections.
The Ohio Supreme dismissed that claim last week.
Jan Kelly, director of the Montgomery County Board of Elections, said the Supreme Court ruled as the BOE had expected, adding that the elections board is now ready to move on to the November election.
The four candidates for two Dayton City Commission seats will be David Esrati, David K. Greer, Jeffrey Mims and incumbent Joey Williams.
Pace ran unsuccessfully for Dayton City Commission in 2011 and for Montgomery County Commission in 2012. He said he will run for office again next year, but would not specify in which race.