Miami Valley Hospital confirmed Wednesday it is closing its 43-year-old kidney transplant center because of financial challenges and low patient volumes.
The story you’re reading is premium content for subscribers of the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News. Not a subscriber? Get total access to all our in-depth news and exclusive content here.
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24 hours
Read MyDaytonDailyNews.com all week — weekly digital pass$3.99 per week
Subscribe for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
For Subscribers: Register your account for digital access.Access Digital
For Subscribers: Sign in here if you have already registered your account.Sign In
The Miami Valley Hospital medical staff is working to refer its 90 patients waiting for kidney transplants to the other 10 transplant centers in Ohio, including these in the region:
- Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati
- The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati
- The University of Cincinnati Medical Center Cincinnati Transplant Center
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s Comprehensive Transplant Center in Columbus
- The University of Toledo Medical Center
- Indiana University Health, Indianapolis
- St.Vincent Indianapolis Hospital
The Dayton Daily News first reported details about Miami Valley Hospital’s discussions to close its Kidney Transplant Center. We will continue to cover this issue and what it means to people waiting to receive transplants.