Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Justin Masterson and former WNBA player Alison Bales headline a 10-person lineup that will be inducted into the Beavercreek High School athletic hall of fame on Saturday.
The inductees will be introduced during halftime of Beavercreek’s varsity boys basketball game on Friday against visiting Centerville. The new members will be formally inducted at 10 a.m. Saturday at the high school Commons Center. The public is welcome and a catered luncheon will follow.
For more information about this event, contact Alan Bertke (937) 902-6922.
New members are:
- Chuck Anderson (1972 graduate): Football, track and wrestling; multiple event track record holder; played football at North Dakota State, also on swimming and diving teams.
- Alison Bales (2003): Basketball, volleyball, track; led basketball team to 99-8 record, including Division I state title seasons of 28-0 and 27-1; three-time AAU national champion; consensus high school All-American; played basketball at Duke and ended career as No. 3 in all-time blocks in NCAA; the 6-7 center was drafted No. 9 overall by Indiana Fever of WNBA in 2006; also played overseas.
- Becky (Manuszak) Ballmann (’79): Basketball and softball; first Beavercreek player to hit for .500-plus; first team All-WOL junior year, All-WOL third team basketball senior year; varsity starter for both sports all three years.
- Anthony Brown (’95): Basketball; three-year starter; MVP junior and senior seasons; played four seasons at Wright State University; son of former WSU men’s coach Jim Brown.
- Greg Brown (’77): Football, wrestling, track; first team All-WOL, All-Southwest District, second team All-Ohio in football; played football at Villanova and Indiana.
- Jeremy Clingner (’03): Football, wrestling; two-time All-GWOC first team in football; 80-22 career wrestling record, state runner-up; played football and wrestled at Wilmington College; current Beavercreek assistant wrestling coach.
- George Freiberger (’93): Football, basketball, track; offensive lineman of the year in WOL, played in North-South game; played football at Villanova.
- Justin Masterson (’03): Baseball; 18-6 career pitching record; two-time GWOC player of the year; played at Bethel (Ind.) and San Diego State; drafted by Boston Red Sox in second round of 2006 draft; traded to Cleveland in 2009; an American League All-Star last season.
- Mike Pittman (’69): Wrestling; 72-8 career record with five losses at state; three-time state qualifier; wrestled at Ohio State.
- Clarissa Wentworth (’03): Swimming; multiple-event school record holder; four-time state qualifier; three-time All-American at Indiana University.