After boasting of sex with 50 women, Supreme Court judge apologizes


An Ohio Supreme Court justice is apologizing for a recent Facebook post in which he boasted of having sex with about 50 women over 50 years.

“There comes a time in everyone’s life when you have to admit you were wrong,” Justice William O’Neill posted on his Facebook page Sunday.

“It is Sunday morning and I am preparing to go to church and get right with God,” the Democrat wrote. “But first I have to get right with my family, my friends, and the thousands of strangers who have been hurt by my insensitive remarks.

RELATEDOhio Supreme Court Justice boasts of bedding 50 women as part of defense of ‘all heterosexual males’

“I am sorry. I have damaged the national debate on the very real subject of sexual harassment, abuse and unfortunately rape. It is not a laughing matter. It wasn’t when I prosecuted sexual misconduct for the state of Ohio, and it is not now,” the justice wrote.

MOREFederal building to be named after Judge Rice

He went on to apologize to his daughters and his sisters, saying, “Please accept my public apology for dragging you into this matter. You deserved better treatment than this. I love you, respect you, and yes, I was wrong. Thank you for loving me enough to stand up to my departure from a loving life.”

O’Neill’s earlier remarks drew international attention and sparked a reaction across the Internet. On Friday evening, O’Neill, also a candidate for Ohio governor, said observers should “lighten up.”

MORELocal pet-meal delivery service launches

“This is how Democrats remain in the minority,” he wrote on Facebook Friday evening.

O’Neill has since removed his original Facebook post, which was written after charges of harassment first surfaced late last week against Minnesota senator Al Franken, a fellow Democrat.

Reaction to his statement Sunday on Facebook was steady. One correspondent said she planned to vote for O’Neill anyway; others accepted the apology or told him, “too little, too late.”

“You’re an idiot,” wrote one commenter on the justice’s Facebook page, Sue Castner.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in

Who is White House physician Ronny L. Jackson?
Who is White House physician Ronny L. Jackson?

U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ronny L. Jackson became physician to the president in 2013, when he was appointed by President Barack Obama. It’s a position that has been around since George Washington became president, but it did not become official until Congress created the title in 1928.  Jackson is the 18th person to hold the position, which is...
Deflating tires to drive on ice, snow can be dangerous trick, experts say
Deflating tires to drive on ice, snow can be dangerous trick, experts say

Some drivers say they have a trick to keep from slipping and sliding in ice and snow -- they let some air out of their tires.  Experts say it can help, but it can also be dangerous.  Ralph Creamer of Dayton said it's a technique he started using years ago on the job.  "I answered calls and I lowered the tire pressure and that helped...
Driver trapped after semi overturns in Xenia
Driver trapped after semi overturns in Xenia

Federal Road remains shut down as a wrecker truck will work to flip the semi that had overturned in Xenia. The scene will take at least a couple of hours to clear, but State Route 72 is open, OSP said. According to OSP, the driver, a local man hauling machinery, hit a patch of snow and lost control of the semi.  He was trapped in the cab but was...
White House physician releases official report with details of president’s exam
White House physician releases official report with details of president’s exam

U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ronny L. Jackson, the physician to the president, released the particulars of President Donald Trump’s physical exam in an official report Tuesday. It was Trump’s first periodical physical as president and was conducted last Friday at the Walter Reed Army National Military Medical Center. The results were released with...
Navy filing homicide charges against 2 ship commanders
Navy filing homicide charges against 2 ship commanders

The Navy says it is filing negligent homicide charges against the commanders of two ships involved in fatal collisions last year. The USS John S. McCain collision resulted in the death of Champaign County sailor Jacob Drake. Drake was a Petty Officer 2nd class. The charges are to be presented at what the military calls an Article 32 hearing...
More Stories