breaking news

2 shot near Keowee Street bridge in Harrison Twp., reports say

Minnie Driver quits Oxfam after sex in crisis zone scandal


Actress Minnie Driver has resigned from her role as an Oxfam celebrity ambassador and corporate backers demanded accountability as the aid organization sought to address allegations that senior staff members working in crisis zones paid for sex among the desperate people the group was meant to serve.

The star of "Good Will Hunting" said she will no longer support the organization following its response to a sex abuse scandal in Haiti after its 2010 earthquake. Britain's top development official has savaged the leadership of Oxfam for its handling of the scandal.

Driver tweeted: "All I can tell you about this awful revelation about Oxfam is that I am devastated. Devastated for the women who were used by people sent there to help them, devastated by the response of an organisation that I have been raising awareness for since I was 9 years old #oxfamscandal."

The anti-poverty organization has been reeling since the Times of London reported last week that seven former Oxfam staff members who worked in Haiti faced misconduct allegations that included using prostitutes and downloading pornography. Oxfam says it investigated, but the government and charity regulators have criticized its lack of transparency in its handling of the matter.

U.K. Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt has warned that government funding to the group — some 31.7 million pounds ($43.8 million) — is at risk unless it comes clean about the allegations. Amid fears that sex predators have targeted aid organizations to get access to the vulnerable, Mordaunt told a conference in Sweden that she would be meeting with the National Crime Agency on Thursday to underscore her concerns.

"While investigations have to be completed and any potential criminals prosecuted accordingly, what is clear is that the culture that allowed this to happen needs to change and it needs to change now," she said.

Oxfam's corporate partners, including Mark & Spencer, Heathrow Airport and Waterstones, are asking questions. Visa, for example, which developed a partnership with Oxfam to help distribute funds to people hit by natural disaster, said it is watching closely.

"At Visa, we are committed to the highest standards of professional and personal conduct, and we expect the same from our partners," the company said. "We are engaged with Oxfam to understand what steps have been taken to address staff misconduct and ensure alignment with our own standards and values."


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School to be torn down
Building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School to be torn down

Students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School won’t return to the building where Nikolas Cruz is accused of shooting into classrooms, killing 17 people on Valentine’s Day, according to a reporter for CBS4 News in Miami.  The building, which is one of several on the campus, will be torn down and replaced with a memorial...
Céline Dion says her late husband is only man she’s ever kissed
Céline Dion says her late husband is only man she’s ever kissed

In a recent interview with The Project, 49-year-old music legend Céline Dion got candid about the 2016 death of her husband and manager René Angélil. Dion described what it felt like to lose Angélil — who died at age 73 after a cancer battle —after decades of marriage. >> Read more trending news ...
Family who took in Nikolas Cruz: 'We just didn't know'
Family who took in Nikolas Cruz: 'We just didn't know'

The family that took in suspected school shooter Nikolas Cruz after his adoptive mother died suddenly last year said that, although the 19-year-old was troubled, it was unaware of any red flags to hint beforehand that he planned to carry out last week’s deadly attack. Cruz opened fire Wednesday on students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman...
Homeless woman alerts police to missing teen
Homeless woman alerts police to missing teen

A homeless woman alerted police about a missing teen as he was boarding a bus to leave town, according to reports.  Caroline Davis saw the 15-year-old boy Feb. 15, but did not recognize him as the missing teen until she saw him again Saturday as he was boarding a Silverline bus, according to WXMI.  "I’m out here sleeping,...
Adam Rippon won’t be joining NBC as 2018 Olympics correspondent after all 
Adam Rippon won’t be joining NBC as 2018 Olympics correspondent after all 

Audiences won’t be seeing much more of Adam Rippon during the 2018 Winter Olympics after all. USA Today previously reported that the 28-year-old figure skater had accepted a job as a correspondent with NBC, but it appears Rippon has changed his mind. >> Read more trending news  Rippon’s decision to decline the offer stems...
More Stories