How did your school district perform on the 2015-16 state report card?
The Ohio Department of Education released report cards for local school districts in September 2016. Districts do not get an overall grade to sum up their performance. They get letter grades on six components of their performance, based on detailed data within each of those categories.
EXPLAINING THE GRADES
Achievement: Grades schools based on their overall scores on state tests. Performance index is weighted 75 percent, and “standards met” is the other 25 percent. There are 31 state exams, and in most cases, schools needed 70-80 percent of students to score proficient for the school to meet each standard.
Performance index: A subset of Achievement, this is the most detailed measure of state test performance. It goes deeper than just proficiency, giving more credit for the highest performers and less credit for lowest scorers.
Progress: Judges whether students made one year’s worth of academic growth from last school year. Based on what statewide percentile students score in each year.
Gap closing (AMOs): Reports whether each subgroup of students (by race, economics, disability, etc.) narrowed achievement gaps when compared with the student body as a whole.
Graduation rate: Shows diplomas earned within four or five years of starting ninth grade. The four-year rate measures students who would have normally become the class of 2015. The five-year rate measures the class of 2014.
K-3 Literacy Improvement: Measures what percentage of struggling readers get back on track to proficiency by the third grade. Schools with less than 5 percent of kindergarteners scoring below grade level are not graded.
Prepared for Success: Tries to measure how well prepared students are for the future, via ACT/SAT scores, honors diplomas, industry credentials and participation in college credit-bearing programs.