Mark your calendars, now.
The Victoria Theatre Association just announced what big stage shows are coming to Dayton for the 2016-17 season.
The big news is “Kinky Boots” — the popular Broadway musical that garnered 13 Tony-awards nominations when it opened on Broadway in 2013 and won the award for Best Musical — is on the schedule for its Dayton debut. Pop icon Cyndi Lauper wrote the score, and the book that inspired the production is by Tony winner actor/playwright Harvey Fierstein. The show will be in town May 23-28, 2017.
Four hundred subscribers, donors and sponsors filled the Schuster Center’s Wintergarten on Monday, Feb. 22, as the VTA revealed its schedule for a variety of theatrical programming ranging from Broadway hits to family entertainment. To announce the perhaps most anticipated show, VTA President and CEO Ken Neufeld wore his own pair of red "kinky boots" and was accompanied by Dayton's famous drag troupe, The Rubi Girls.
Other highlights include some familiar favorites and some shows new to Dayton:
Jersey Boys — Oct. 18-23, 2016: The story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons returns to Dayton. The show was last on a Dayton stage back in 2012. This is the story of how a group of blue-collar boys from the wrong side of the tracks became one of the biggest American pop music sensations of all time.
42nd Street — Jan. 10-15, 2017: This musical is based on a novel by Bradford Ropes and a 1933 movie tells the tale of a starry-eyed dancer who gets her big break. The show includes classic songs like “We’re In The Money,” “Lullaby of Broadway,” “Shuffle Off To Buffalo,” “Dames,” “I Only Have Eyes For You” and“42nd Street.” The show returns to Dayton for the first time since 1996.
Dirty Dancing — March 14-19, 2017: This stage show brings the classic romance starring the late Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey to stage featuring hit songs like “Hungry Eyes,” “Hey! Baby,” “Do You Love Me?” and “(I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life.” Plus, they’ll be plenty of close dancing, as the name implies. This is the first time “Dirty Dancing” will be performed in Dayton.
Motown the Musical — April 11-16, 2017: The story of Motown’s greatest hits and stars from Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations. Enjoy more than 40 classic hits. This is the first time “Motown the Musical” will be performed in Dayton.
Circus 1903 — June 13-18, 2017: This new production comes from the creators of the popular magic show, “The Illusionists,” along with the talented puppeteers responsible for “War Horse.”
Elf The Musical will come to town just in time for the holiday season this year from Nov. 22-27, 2016. This stage show about the story of Buddy the Elf and his journey from the North Pole to New York to discover his true identity is based on the hit holiday film starring Will Ferrell. This is the first time the show will be staged in Dayton.
ABOUT THE EVENT: A number of community and business leaders joined VTA president and CEO Ken Neufeld Monday to announce the Premier Health Broadway Series; Projects Unlimited Star Attractions; the Morris Furniture Company Family Series; National Geographic Live, sponsored by Fifth Third Bank, and The Frank M. Tait Foundation Discovery Series.
OTHER UPCOMING SHOWS JUST ANNOUNCED:
MORRIS FURNITURE COMPANY FAMILY SERIES
- Mutts Gone Nuts, Oct. 29, 2016, Victoria Theatre. High-flying Frisbee dogs, tight-wire dogs, dancing dogs, magic dogs and even a talking dog.
- A Year with Frog & Toad, Jan. 21, 2017, Victoria Theatre. Based on the books by Arnold Lobel
- Pinkalicious The Musical, Feb. 25, 2017, Victoria Theatre. Based on the books by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann
- The Cat In The Hat, April 8-9, 2017, Victoria Theatre. Based on the book by Dr. Seuss
- Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters, April 22, 2017, Victoria Theatre. Based on the book by John Steptoe
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC LIVES SERIES SPONSORED BY FIFTH THIRD BANK
- Hilaree O’Neill, Mountaineer: DOWN TO NOTHING, Jan. 31, 2017, Victoria Theatre
- Steve Winter, wildlife photojournalist: ON THE TRAIL OF BIG CATS, March 6, 2017, Victoria Theatre
- Pete McBride, adventurer/photographer: CHASING RIVERS, April 24, 2017, Victoria Theatre
THE FRANK M. TAIT FOUNDATION DISCOVERY SERIES
The Frank M. Tait Discovery Series brings more than 18,000 students to downtown Dayton’s Victoria Theatre for a live theatre experience.
- We The People, Nov. 7, 2016
- The Wright Brothers. Nov. 15-16, 2016
- Edward Tulane. Nov. 17, 2016
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Feb. 1, 2017
- I Have A Dream, Feb. 16, 2017
- The Lightning Thief, Feb. 28, 2017
- Anne of Green Gables, April 4, 2017
- The Cat In The Hat, April 7, 2017
- Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters, April 21, 2017
- The Mayhem Poets, May, 1, 2017
HOW TO BUY:
Season tickets for the 2016-17 Premier Health Broadway Series are on sale now through Ticket Center Stage. New season ticket-holders will be seated once current season ticket-holders’renewals are fulfilled.
Renewal packets for all of current Premier Health Broadway Series Season Ticket Holders were mailed Feb. 22. The deadline for current season ticket-holders to request changes to Broadway Season Ticket packages is March 14. The deadline to renew 2016-17 Broadway Season Ticket packages is March 28.
Season ticket sales for the Morris Furniture Company Family Series and National Geographic Live Series begin later in the spring, as well as new packages for the Projects Unlimited Star Attractions.
For more information about the 2016-2017 Season and the remainder of the 2015-2016 Season, visit www.victoriatheatre.com.