Artfully designed spaces usually lend themselves as visually appealing to photographers.
The interior of the Dayton Art Institute is no exception.
With soaring ceilings and open spaces, it’s a natural place to explore with a 360-degree camera. Dayton Art Institute Marketing and Communications Manager Eric Brockman was kind enough to let me photograph on a day when the museum was closed.
In the Berry Wing of European Art, Sir Joshua Reynolds’ rendition of Henry, 8th Lord Arundell of Wardour, looks life-sized in his regal red robe. The 94- by 58-inch oil on canvas was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Harry S. Price, Jr. The painting greets visitors as they pass from gallery 212 to 213.
Berry Wing of European Art @DaytonArt Institute - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA
The General Motors Entrance Rotunda addition was opened in 1997 after a major renovation. The bright, open space is adorned with metal sculpture railings by Dayton artist Hamilton Dixon and features a welcoming staircase to the upper level galleries.
Entrance Rotunda and metal sculputre railing by Hamilton Dixon @DaytonArt Institute - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA
The Great Hall is part of the original Dayton Art Institute and was completed in 1930. Chief Massasoit, by Cyrus Edwin Dallin, Bronze cast, appears to guard the magnificent space that has windows overlooking the city and abundant natural light. Dallin was an American sculptor who created more than 260 works, many were Native Americans.
Chief Massasoit keeps watch over the Great Hall @DaytonArt Institute - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA
The NCR Renaissance Auditorium is also part of the original structure which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The auditorium is rich with color, texture and a Skinner pipe organ which under renovation.
Seating more than 400, the space was described in the Dayton Daily News like this in 1930: “Dayton persons viewing this magnificent ceiling for the first time will be charmed with its beauty, and impressed with the typically colorful Italian piece of workmanship. It was designed and executed under Joseph Sturdy of Chicago. Its panels are furnished in oils, which were brought from the studios of Sturdy.”
NCR Renaissance Auditorium @DaytonArt Institute - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA