Changes coming to Coco’s Bistro as top chef departs


Coco’s Bistro will soon have a new chef at the helm of its kitchen after the departure of the executive chef who had led the Dayton restaurant’s kitchen for about five years over two separate stints.

Darin Mitchell — who helped open Coco’s Bistro’s previous location on Wayne Avenue more than a decade ago, and who returned to the restaurant about three years ago after it moved in 2012 to its current location at 250  Warren St.  just south of downtown Dayton — has stepped down, and starting Jan. 2, chef Bryan Ondre  will step in to lead the kitchen, according to Karen Wick-Gagnet, Coco’s co-owner.

>> A few things you missed in Dayton last week while you were in a food coma

Mitchell “has been looking for other opportunities,” Wick-Gagnet told this news outlet. She praised Mitchell’s work at her restaurant, and said he had “no animosity toward Darin” for his decision. Attempts to reach Mitchell last week were unsuccessful.

The nomination period in Dayton.com's Best of 2018 contest has started! Click the button below to start teling us your favorites.

 Ondre has worked in the kitchens of several full-service Dayton-area restaurants, including the former Pacchia, as well as Salar and most recently Coldwater Cafe in Tipp City. He also spent five years at Serratto Restaurant and Bar in Portland, Oregon. 

>> Popular Asian restaurant reopens after year-long absence

In a release, Ondre said, “I’m excited about the opportunity to prepare the food I like to cook and to be downtown at Coco’s. Coco’s has such a great and supportive environment, and I am excited to bring my own take on food to the community through this opportunity.” 

“I feel like I learned something from every chef I worked under,” Ondre said. “But then I took it and made it my own style, and I can’t wait to bring that to Coco’s. 

 >> The 12 best restaurants in Dayton -- well, Coco’s, and the other 11

Wick-Gagnet said in a phone interview that there will be no sudden, sweeping changes to the Coco’s Bistro menu. 

“We will tweak and adjust initially,” she said. But diners will likely see an increased focus on small-plate offerings, many of which will build on the restaurant’s a farm-to-table approach, the Coco’s founder said.

>> El Meson’s 40th birthday celebration continues with tastes from trip to the Old World

“The people who dine here are our friends and neighbors,” Wick-Gagnet said in a release. “People come to Coco’s to create memories and have meaningful, authentic experiences, and we are looking forward to sharing new experience with them in 2019 when Bryan comes on board.”

A wine dinner is in the works in early January to help introduce Ondre, Wick-Gagnet said.

Coco’s Bistro got its start more than two decades ago on East Fifth Street in the Oregon District.

 


Reader Comments


Next Up in Local

Police detain 2 accused of stealing from Walmart in Franklin, trying to elude capture
Police detain 2 accused of stealing from Walmart in Franklin, trying to elude capture

Two people accused of shoplifting from a Walmart in Franklin were taken into custody after they crashed while trying to elude police.  The getaway car crashed at the end of a cul-de-sac on Highridge Court in Franklin after first bumping a police cruiser, Franklin police said.  The theft is said to have occurred at the Walmart Superstore off...
Miami University approves gaming and simulation major
Miami University approves gaming and simulation major

The Board of Trustees voted to establish a new Bachelor of Science major in games and simulation within the College of Creative Arts, according to a release. The program offers a minor and 50 gaming courses.  Miami’s gaming design program is also ranked number 3 in the U.S. among public universities
Area businesses prepare for another partial government shutdown
Area businesses prepare for another partial government shutdown

If lawmakers in Washington can’t agree on a spending bill, there could be a partial government shutdown next week at midnight on Dec. 21 that could impact hundreds of workers in the Miami Valley. One of the most significant impacts in our area would be to the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, which is funded by one of the federal...
Online dating may have led to capture of fugitive soccer coach in Florida
Online dating may have led to capture of fugitive soccer coach in Florida

Fugitive soccer coach Justin K. Smith is now in custody after 45 days on the run. He was captured shortly after 6 p.m. today in Florida in the Fort Walton Beach area. He was booked into the Okaloosa County Jail as a fugitive from justice. Smith, 41, of Germantown, was taken into custody at a townhome, and had been in the area a couple of weeks, according...
Montgomery County Children Services has 100th adoption
Montgomery County Children Services has 100th adoption

Montgomery County Children Services hit a milestone Friday when they had their 100th adoption of 2018. Megan and Josh Farnham adopted Samuel today. He’s been in the county’s care since he was two-days-old. “I always tell people this is one of the hardest things that we have ever done, but by far the most rewarding. I mean he is completely...
More Stories