breaking news

Downtown shop closing after more than 30 years 

Dunbar banned from tourney: 5 keys to end of Dayton’s fight with OHSAA


The months-long struggle between Dayton Public Schools and the Ohio High School Athletic Association over the eligibility of Dunbar High School’s boys basketball team came to an end Thursday.

NEW TODAY: Dayton admits it was wrong in Dunbar fight

DPS admitted it had been wrong about the key fact at the core of the issue – an unnamed basketball player participated in an on-court fight Jan. 10, meaning he was ineligible when he played for Dunbar in a later tournament game.

MARCH 6: Judge puts Dunbar back in basketball tourney

Here are five key things to know:

What did DPS admit Thursday?

Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli said that a Dunbar player who appeared in a first-round tournament game should have been ineligible, so OHSAA’s original move to disqualify Dunbar from the tournament was the right one. Lolli said OHSAA and DPS only learned the truth after a court had already reinstated Dunbar, when people went to the OHSAA with cell phone video showing that the player did participate in the Jan. 10 fight. Previous video had been less clear.

MARCH 7: Dayton schools, OHSAA still in war of words

Who was harmed by this?

When the OHSAA originally removed Dunbar from the tournament, they put Thurgood Marshall – another DPS school – in Dunbar’s place. That’s because Thurgood was the last team that Dunbar had beaten in the tournament.

When DPS sued, and a judge ruled in the district’s favor, Thurgood was out, and Dunbar back in.

Then, in their next game, Dunbar faced Bishop Fenwick High School, from Middletown. Fenwick had to wait multiple days, as the court process delayed the game, then Fenwick lost to Dunbar by one point and was eliminated.

MARCH 2: Step-by-step look at Dunbar case, from Jan. 10 to lawsuit

What penalties will DPS face?

Dunbar’s boys team is banned the 2019 postseason basketball tournament. The overall OHSAA probation for Dayton Public Schools – stemming from a 2016 football scandal – is extended through June 2020.

Probation specifically for Dunbar will run through 2022. DPS also will reimburse the OHSAA’s court costs, fees and expenses related to the March court hearing.

MARCH 12: Dunbar JV coach, school athletic director reprimanded

Is anybody being fired?

That’s complicated. Lolli said “some personnel changes” will be implemented for the next school year, but she would not go into detail. She said embattled Athletic Director Mark Baker has been working on a redesign of the athletic department. Asked whether that meant DPS was committed to Baker as athletic director going forward, Lolli gave a response that did not answer the question.

Asked later whether she expected to fire anyone, Lolli said no. That would appear to mean Baker will remain employed, as his athletic director contract runs through June 2019.

But coaches and the athletic directors for individual schools work on one-year “supplemental contracts” that are up for review each year. The district could replace some of those staffers without technically firing anyone.

RELATED: Principal, Dayton AD Baker were reprimanded

What did people have to say?

Lolli acknowledged the gravity of the situation.

“We owe an apology to Bishop Fenwick High School, Thurgood Marshall High School and the OHSAA,” Lolli said in a joint press release issued by the OHSAA. “We have taken corrective measures to address the situation. We appreciate the OHSAA’s cooperation and compassion during this situation. We know that removal of Dayton Public Schools’ membership in the OHSAA was an option.”

OHSAA Executive Director Dan Ross complimented Lolli’s recent work.

“Our staff was convinced by the evidence they had in making their original decision that the youngster came off the bench when the fight broke out,” Ross said in the same release. “Once new evidence was obtained and shared with Dr. Lolli, she immediately knew that it was a very serious matter and wanted to work with the OHSAA to make the needed corrections. It has been a pleasure working with her, and we trust that nothing like this will happen again at Dayton Public Schools.”

RELATED: No athletics money missing for first time in 4 years



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Frozen embryos mistakenly destroyed at Seattle hospital 
Frozen embryos mistakenly destroyed at Seattle hospital 

Dozens of women hoping to have children are dealing with heartbreaking loss after their frozen embryos were mistakenly destroyed at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. >> Read more trending news  Tina Mankowski, director of strategic communications for UW Medicine, confirmed that 31 patients were...
Election 2018: Turner criticizes Gasper comment about Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
Election 2018: Turner criticizes Gasper comment about Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

Congressman Mike Turner is taking issue with a comment his Democratic opponent Theresa Gasper made recently about Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. At a candidate night event, Gasper said that Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is “an enduring base, it’s never going to close, unless someone blows it up,” according to a video provided...
Mass casualty drill may mean gun shot, explosion noises downtown
Mass casualty drill may mean gun shot, explosion noises downtown

As part of local responders practicing for a mass casualty scenario, there may be loud noises like gun shots or an explosion near Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton on Thursday afternoon. The exercise will be from around 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday. MORE: With Enon ER, more health care options inch closer to Dayton market The full-scale and functional exercise...
Parents feel pressured when making child safety choices, study says 
Parents feel pressured when making child safety choices, study says 

More than 90 percent of parents are overwhelmed when researching child safety products, a study released this week asserts. >> Read more trending news  The study -- “Shifting Gears: How Becoming A Parent Changes Driving Forever” -- conducted by the Harris Poll on behalf of Volvo Car USA and coinciding with Child Passenger...
Middletown police investigating shots fired
Middletown police investigating shots fired

One man was grazed by a bullet when shots were fired Sunday night in Middletown, according to police. The incident remains under investigation, Middletown police Sgt. Malcolm Tipton said. MORE: One person dies in Butler County crash involving 2 cars, semi An unknown number of shots were fired around 9:30 p.m. Sunday in the 4700 block of Caprice Drive...
More Stories