FDA: E-cigarette epidemic among teenagers needs solution


Makhmud Makhmudov started vaping at age 17 using fruit flavors to quit the cigarettes he’d been smoking since 14.

The Springboro teenager, now 19, is the type of person the Food and Drug Administration said the electronic smoking industry is targeting with marketing and flavored products.

This week, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said his agency is considering banning all flavored e-cigarette products from the market. In a letter released Wednesday, Gottlieb declared teenagers’ use of e-cigarettes an “epidemic of addiction.”

“The disturbing and accelerating trajectory of use we’re seeing in youth, and the resulting path to addiction, must end,” he said.

The electronic smoking devices became popular several years ago to help adult smokers quit cigarettes by using e-liquids that contain nicotine but not tobacco, and others that don’t contain nicotine.

»RELATED: Amazon’s owner donating $2B to non-profits

Riverside Vapor Haus customer, 29-year-old Karissa Shambaugh of Dayton, said she and her husband quit smoking cigarettes — a habit she picked up when she was 13 or 14 —thanks to the flavors.

“Neither of us could really breathe that well ever; going up flights of stairs was a struggle. And we’re young, so that’s not okay,” Shambaugh said. “I can breathe better, I taste all my food again…I don’t smell anymore.”

But the vapes have become popular among a younger generation, specifically teenagers who are attracted to the strawberry, cotton candy and tutti frutti flavors. A U.S. Surgeon General report shows that use of e-cigs among high school students increased 900 percent between 2011 and 2015.

“The FDA won’t tolerate a whole generation of young people becoming addicted to nicotine as a tradeoff for enabling adults to have unfettered access to these same products,” Gottlieb said.

Sgt. Don Wilson, the head DARE officer at Spingboro schools, said he’s seen students use the devices and his school has rules in place that ban them from school property.

»BIZ BEAT: White Castle introduces plant-based burger

“Although it’s been marketed as an alternative, you’re still putting a drug in your body, you’re still putting yourself at risk,” Wilson said.

The FDA sent warning letters Wednesday to 12 national companies that advertise e-liquids that resemble juice boxes and candies, a marketing method the agency has banned because they said it targets children. Several of those companies were also cited for selling products to minors.

The FDA has also tried to crack down on stores that sell the product to teenagers under 18. More than 1,300 warning letters went out to stores for the illegal sale of e-cigs to minors this summer in the largest single enforcement action in the FDA’s history.

Of those, 11 stores were in Ohio. All Buckeye State recipients were gas stations or convenience stores and drive throughs. Marion’s Grand Slam Drive Thru in Middletown was sent a warning letter, according to the FDA.

“If [Gottlieb] eliminates the flavor part out of the industry, it will kill every vape shop in the United States,” said James Jarvis, president of Ohio Vapor Trade Association. “We are concerned with youth access. The problem is they are not getting it from vape shops.”

»RELATED: Need a live Christmas tree? Amazon to sell them this year

Vapor Haus, with eight locations in the Dayton area, checks the ID of every purchaser that looks to be under 40, co-owner Chris Voudris said, adding that online sales directly from manufacturers are the biggest way minors are getting the products.

The FDA is requiring that five major manufacturers with a combined 97 percent of the e-cigarette market make plans to address the use of products by minors within 60 days.

Those changes could range from changing marketing campaigns to removing all flavored e-cig products from the market online and in stores until they receive premarket authorization. The agency had previously given the manufacturers a grace period until 2022 for e-cig products that were already on the market until they submitted applications for FDA review.

»BIZ BEAT: Gas and welding supply distributor expands with Dayton location

“If you take away vaping, it doesn’t mean people are going to stop,” Makhmudov said. “They’re going to find something else.”

Makhmudov said he’s not worried about nicotine because there are health concerns with certain foods and other products people consume every day.

But Wilson said he is worried about the new methods of consuming nicotine threatening the progress of declining cigarette use among teenagers over the last several years.

“If you’re introducing something into your body that isn’t really supposed to be there, then that’s going to cause a major effect — such as nicotine,” Wilson said.

FIVE FAST READS

• Southwest adding two nonstop flights to warmer climates from Cincinnati

• Kings Island owner hits record revenues

• GameStop confirms possibility of sale

• Macy’s looks to hire 80,000 for holiday season

• Tipp City luxury home built by German Baptist crew for sale



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Man accused of walking too close to Old Faithful arrested in Cheyenne
Man accused of walking too close to Old Faithful arrested in Cheyenne

A Colorado man accused of walking too close to the Old Faithful geyser in Yellowstone National Park last week faces more charges after he led police on a chase in Cheyenne, Wyoming, the Billings Gazette reported. >> Read more trending news  Gabriel Villalva, 27, of Greeley, Colorado, was arrested in Wyoming’s capital city Wednesday...
Help Fairborn police identity robbery suspect
Help Fairborn police identity robbery suspect

Fairborn police are asking for the public’s help to identify a robbery suspect from an incident that occurred on Aug. 13. The suspect has facial hair and was possibly driving a silver Nissan Altima. Anyone with information about the suspect or incident, please call the Fairborn Police Department at 937-754-3000.
Cash bond set at $10,000 for Piqua man charged with sex offenses against minor
Cash bond set at $10,000 for Piqua man charged with sex offenses against minor

A Piqua man entered pleas of not guilty Friday morning to charges of disseminating matter harmful to a juvenile and importuning involving a Piqua juvenile younger than 16. Ryan M. Draving, 33, was arraigned via video from the Miami County Jail in Miami County Municipal.  The incident reportedly happened on Sept.19 in Piqua.  Judge Gary Nasal...
Man who killed Colts linebacker, Uber driver in crash gets 16 years in prison
Man who killed Colts linebacker, Uber driver in crash gets 16 years in prison

The man accused of killing Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and an Uber driver during a crash in February was sentenced to 16 years in prison, WXIN reported.  >> Read more trending news  Manuel Orrego-Savala -- a 37-year-old Guatemalan man who was living illegally in Indiana, according to police -- was charged with four...
Pulse nightclub memorial could span 3 city blocks
Pulse nightclub memorial could span 3 city blocks

Planning for a permanent memorial and museum honoring the victims of the 2016 Pulse nightclub attack has been in the works for more than a year. >> Read more trending news  WFTV obtained renderings Friday of what the memorial could look like and learned that it could span three city blocks. The Orlando Tourist Development Council on...
More Stories