The holiday season brings out the best in wine, beer and spirits purveyors — literally.
Many producers and retailers market their products a bit differently this time of year, and the gift packs they put together — sometimes including special glassware or combinations of their best offerings — can be good values. And they would look simply FABulous under a Christmas tree or on your dining room table, liquor cabinet, or nestled comfortably in the refrigerator.
We rummaged through some of the gift packs we found at a couple of shops in the region — Arrow Wine & Spirits’ “Centerville” store (actually, it’s in Washington Twp.) and Miami Valley Wine & Spirits in Tipp City — and culled out a few favorites.
A word of caution: some of these gift packs are in short supply, and will sell out quickly. Most are available at some, but not all, other beer, wine and spirits shops, not just the two where we went hunting. So check your local shop first or call ahead to avoid disappointment.
Here’s a tasty sample pack of what we found:
• Maker’s Mark Bourbon gift pack, $35. Two 375-milliliter (or “half”) bottles, one each of the “regular” bourbon and the “46,” which is finished with oak staves. Found at Arrow.
• Brothers Drake Meadery gift pack, $39.99. Three bottles of honey-based wine from a Columbus meadery that has been earning national recognition for its meads. Found at Arrow.
• St. Bernardus gift pack, $39.99. Six Belgian beers and two Belgian-style glasses. Found at Miami Valley Wine & Spirits.
• Local Craft breweries sample pack, $17.99. A six-pack of assorted brews from breweries in Dayton, Cincinnati and nearby. Found at Arrow.
• Gift packs from Madtree ($29.99), Rockmill Brewery ($59.99) and New Holland Brewing ($16.99). Madtree is in Cincinnati, Rockmill operates out of Lancaster east of Columbus, and New Holland hails from Michigan. Found at Arrow.
• Cooper & Thief Red Wine Blend, $24.99: A bottle of red wine that has been aged in bourbon barrels and two glasses. Found at Miami Valley Wine, also seen at Arrow.
• Mumm Champagne bottle and two glasses, $34.99. Found at both Arrow and Miami Valley wine.