Kettering teen murder trial: Sides disagree about where deadlocked charges should go next


Attorneys for a Kettering teen convicted of lesser charges in a murder trial want felony counts on which the jury deadlocked sent back to juvenile court.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, say they want to retry Kylen Gregory in adult court on those five felonious assault charges in the Sept. 4, 2016, fatal shooting of Fairmont High School student Ronnie Bowers.

Court officials have said returning the case to juvenile court could result in Gregory serving fewer than three years while an adult court sentence may mean a prison term of more than 15 years.

RELATED: Kettering murder trial: Six things to know about the jury

Court documents filed Friday by Gregory’s attorney came one day after the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office told the Dayton Daily News it intended to retry the 18-year-old defendant in adult court on the five felonious assault charges.

Gregory and Bowers were both 16 at the time of the shooting on Willowdale Avenue in Kettering. Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi in the summer of 2017 approved the prosecutor’s office’s mandatory transfer request to adult court.

Initially, defense attorney Jon Paul Rion filed a motion asking the case be returned to juvenile court because his client was not convicted of murder, charges that required a mandatory transfer to adult court.

Under Ohio law, mandatory transfers occur for older juveniles who commit murder, are repeat felony offenders or commit felonies with a firearm.

RELATED: Kettering murder case jury convicts teen on lesser charges

The Nov. 30 filing by Rion specified the felonious assault counts should be returned to juvenile court.

A jury of nine women and three men on Nov. 9 convicted Gregory of two counts of reckless homicide and one count of discharging a firearm at or near a prohibited premise.

-MORE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Kettering teen accused of murder testifies in his own defense

RELATED: 9 key players in Kettering murder case stemming from 2016 killing of Fairmont student



Reader Comments


Next Up in Local

Advocates: Warren County widow’s case a big win for Ohio seniors
Advocates: Warren County widow’s case a big win for Ohio seniors

An 81-year-old Warren County widow’s win in the Ohio Supreme Court will have far-reaching implications for other surviving spouses facing bills for the care of loved ones who die, advocates for seniors said. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday in favor of Cora Bell in a lawsuit filed in June 2015 against her in Franklin Municipal Court about...
WPAFB Thursday Weather: Chance for light showers as gradual warm-up continues
WPAFB Thursday Weather: Chance for light showers as gradual warm-up continues

A chilly morning with temperatures rising through the 30s, according to Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist McCall Vrydaghs. Skies will be mostly cloudy all day with a slight chance for a few sprinkles. Temperatures will moderate into the middle 40s for highs, which is slightly above normal. A few more sprinkles are possible Thursday night, but a better...
Dayton area businessman in court today on illegal dumping charges
Dayton area businessman in court today on illegal dumping charges

A prominent Dayton area philanthropist and one of his managers are set to appear in court today on several felony charges involving his businesses. Steve R. Rauch and Jennifer Copeland have been summoned to be appear in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, where they were indicted last month on illegal dumping and related charges, court records show...
Police: 58-year-old man abducted at gunpoint back home safe in Dayton
Police: 58-year-old man abducted at gunpoint back home safe in Dayton

The 58-year-old man is back home, but his vehicle is still missing. The man is safe and was able to walk back to his house in the 600 block of Gramont Avenue, police said. The victim, whose name was not released, was abducted at gunpoint by two men who also robbed him of his mid-size sport-utility vehicle, a red 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada with Ohio plates...
Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards says he’s giving up drinking; ‘I got fed up with it’
Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards says he’s giving up drinking; ‘I got fed up with it’

Longtime Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards said he’s been drinking less and less over the past year and finally just “pulled the plug on it.” >> Read more trending news  The Stones guitarist and founding band member, who turns 75 next week, told Rolling Stone magazine, “I just got fed up with it.” He said...
More Stories