Reports: Navy fighters spotted UFO-like craft off East Coast in 2015


A video has surfaced of Navy F/A-18 fighter jets encountering an unidentified aircraft off the East Coast in 2015, media reports say.

Fighter jet surveillance video shows it encountered the object roughly four nautical miles away over the ocean.

A Pentagon spokesperson Monday would say only the Defense Department did not release the video.

RELATED: Pentagon has $22 million program to investigate UFOs

In December, the Pentagon confirmed to this news outlet and others it investigated service members claims of reported UFO sightings decades after Project Blue Book headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base concluded.

In the 1960s, Project Blue Book was an Air Force program that investigated worldwide reports of unidentified flying objects. The investigations, which concluded in 1969, found no threats to national security or evidence of extraterrestrial vehicles, the Air Force has said.

The Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program inside the Pentagon ended around 2012, according to the Defense Department.

The $22 million program ran between 2007 to 2012, The New York Times reported late last year. At the time, the Pentagon released two videos of an encounter between Navy F/A-18s and unidentified aircraft off the West Coast in 2004.

RELATED: Wright-Patt was ground zero for UFO investigation program

To The Stars Academy of Arts and Science, a private scientific research organization, released the latest declassified Defense Department video of the 2015 incident, media reports say.

Christopher Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence in two prior presidential administrations, recently called on the Pentagon to take the reports seriously and investigate the cause of the sightings.

“If the origin of these aircraft is a mystery, so is the paralysis of the U.S. government in the face of such evidence,” he wrote in a Washington Post Op-Ed column Friday.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Shooting victim taken to hospital in Dayton
Shooting victim taken to hospital in Dayton

Dayton police are investigating a shooting Sunday. Large shell casings were seen scattered in the 1400 block of Harvard Boulevard.  The victim was not at the scene of the shooting reported around 6:50 p.m. because someone had transported them to an area hospital, regional dispatch said. Their condition is not known. Police are looking for a suspect...
Tiger Woods: Some fun facts to know
Tiger Woods: Some fun facts to know

Tiger Woods ended a five-year victory drought when he won the Tour Championship on Sunday. >> Read more trending news  By finishing two shots ahead of Billy Horschel with a 1-over-par 71 and an 11-under-par 269 for the tournament, Woods earned his 80th career win on the PGA Tour, second only behind Sam Snead’s 82. It was Woods&rsquo...
Merged Baptist church celebrating 55 years
Merged Baptist church celebrating 55 years

Fifty-five years ago, three Middletown churches merged to form one church, United Missionary Baptist Church. The late Rev. James Holloman was named pastor of the newly-formed church in 1963, and since then, 11 full-time and interim pastors have served the church. For the last 25 years, the Rev. Gregory Tyus has led the congregation. That history will...
Economic forum: Water, universities among Dayton’s key strengths
Economic forum: Water, universities among Dayton’s key strengths

The Dayton region can improve its economic vibrancy by improving cooperation across jurisdictions and capitalizing on its strengths, such as its large supply of clean groundwater and multiple universities and colleges, according to people who attended a Sunday town hall on the economy held at the main Dayton Metro Library. The region will benefit if...
Kettering abortion provider appeals ruling that would force closure
Kettering abortion provider appeals ruling that would force closure

The Dayton-area’s lone abortion provider has appealed a Montgomery County judge’s decision in late August to uphold a state ruling that would force its closure. The clinic is expected to remain open during the appeal process, lawyers for Women’s Med said. MORE: These local fire departments are looking for more full-timers, matching...
More Stories