A homeowner ran to a nearby business, without any shoes or socks, after a kitchen fire occurred on Volkenand Avenue Thursday morning.
According to a 911 call obtained by this news organization, an employee of Merchants Security Service on Wayne Avenue told dispatchers the resident came into the business and said his house was on fire.
“A gentleman walked over here, barefoot. He was sleeping, smelled the smoke and ran out the house”, said the caller.
Dayton firefighters say they were met with smoke and flames coming from the first floor of the home just before 1 a.m.
Crews were able to extinguish the blaze, which did not spread beyond the home’s first level.
No injuries were reported, but the resident cannot stay at the home due to the electricity being cut and damage done as a result of the fire, officials say.
Damage estimates were not immediately available, but officials say the kitchen and living room area sustained heavy damage.
RedCross was not called to aid the displaced resident, as the individual found their own temporary housing.