Son fights flames, smoke to rescue mom in Harrison Twp. house fire


UPDATE @ 8:40 p.m.:  A man got himself and his mother out of their burning house, which began with overheated grease, said Battalion Chief Darrin Wiseman, Harrison Twp. Fire Department.

The man was in the basement when his mother, who was in a bedroom of the home on Greenhill Road, alerted him that she smelled smoke. 

Wiseman said the man had to use a fire extinguisher to fight his way upstairs and through flames and smoke to get to his mother. Fire crews arrived to find them outside. One of them was taken to a hospital as a precaution, the other turned down a trip to a hospital. 

The fire, which gutted the kitchen and sent smoke throughout the house, caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, Wiseman said. 

Crews initially were dispatched on a report of a structure fire with a person trapped.

INITIAL REPORT

Two people are reportedly in the care of emergency medical crews following a kitchen fire at a home in the 100 block of Greenhill Road. 

Crews were dispatched on a report of a structure fire about 5:50 p.m. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Area woman witnesses scene outside Fla. school

The fire has been put out, we're hearing. 

We will update this report as we get information. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Gravesites overrun for Civil War veterans at Miami County cemetery
Gravesites overrun for Civil War veterans at Miami County cemetery

Jackson Cemetery just outside Piqua is home to Civil War veterans and many African-Americans who were born slaves but died free. The cemetery has been a historical landmark for the last 10 years. However, of concern to Piqua resident Della Shaffer is that some of these historical gravesites are overrun by brush. She knows of nine veterans buried here...
Collision involving private ambulance, passenger car snarls traffic
Collision involving private ambulance, passenger car snarls traffic

A collision involving a private ambulance and a passenger car on Linden Avenue at East Third Street ended with no injuries, police said.  The accident was dispatched about 8:15 p.m.  The MedPro ambulance was empty and was not on a call, according to police. The other car, a small Saturn, had a small child inside.  Police tell us they're...
Tick outbreaks appear to be on the rise, Dayton veterinarian says
Tick outbreaks appear to be on the rise, Dayton veterinarian says

There are common misconceptions among many people when it comes to ticks, says one Dayton veterinarian who has seen a recent rise in outbreaks.  Dr. Daniel Brauer with Dayton South Veterinary Clinic says ticks can latch on to people and pets anywhere outside, not just on trails and tall grass. Relying on spurts of colder weather also won&rsquo...
2 injured in collision involving semi on U.S. 127 in Darke County, near Ansonia
2 injured in collision involving semi on U.S. 127 in Darke County, near Ansonia

UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m.: U.S. 127 North and South will remain closed as deputies investigate the collision involving a semitrailer and a passenger that sent two people in the car to a hospital.  Both victims were in the car, which appears to have failed to yield and pulled into the path of the semitrailer at the intersection of Reed Road and state...
Spike in illnesses has health officials warning of precautions at swimming pools
Spike in illnesses has health officials warning of precautions at swimming pools

Pool season is back, but a spike in illnesses has health officials saying you need to protect yourself and your children before taking a dip, especially at a public pool. "One of the main things people need to be concerned with when they go to the pool is crypto," Dan Suffoletto, public information supervisor for Public Health - Dayton &...
More Stories