In the late 1920s, the community partnered with the Sisters of Charity in Cincinnati to raise money for a new hospital in Dayton.
The campaign to raise $1 million to construct Good Samaritan Hospital began In 1928 and was led by local businessman John Q. Sherman, who founded The Standard Register Company with his brother William.
The community rallied behind the idea and raised the money quickly, according to the website Dayton History Books Online. Four acres of land at Fairview Avenue and Philadelphia Drive were donated by a doctor for the new facility.
The hospital was completed four years later, and opened in 1932 with 250 beds.
During the early years, the hospital was one of 1,125 nursing schools in the country providing a free education for nurses under the Nurses Training Act of 1943, according to the Good Samaritan Hospital History.
In 1954, the hospital opened the Madonna Pavilion, providing the second-largest obstetrics program in Ohio.