The family of three people found dead Wednesday from a Huber Heights fire suspected of self-extinguishing up to three weeks ago is seeking answers about how no one noticed the blaze.
Antronette Taylor, 30, Michael Davidson Jr., 2, and Michael E. Davidson Sr., age unknown, lived in the townhouse on the 4500 block of Bufort Boulevard, family members said. The county coroner has not formally identified the bodies. Investigators said further testing is needed to identify the remains due to decomposition.
ORIGINAL REPORT: 3 bodies found after unreported fire
Taylor’s aunt, Jean Harris, said her niece would complain about smoke detectors at the apartment not working.
“She said they never would come and fix the smoke detectors,” Harris said.
The Dayton Daily News and News Center 7 contacted Kirkpatrick Management, the company that runs the complex, to ask about Harris’ claims. Latisha Billy, the company’s regional property manager, said the company is declining comment until they receive documents from investigators.
On Wednesday, Huber Heights Fire Chief Mark Ashworth said two smoke detectors were found in the apartment. One was hardwired. The other was battery-powered. “Both had significant fire damage,” and investigators could not determine if either alarm activated, Ashworth said.
A neighbor called 911 Wednesday to report a foul smell coming from the residence, mentioning flies could be seen in the windows and that cars had not moved in two to three weeks.
From outside the two-story unit, window blinds could be seen melted.
Murless Jones, Taylor’s mother, said she doesn’t understand how neighbors didn’t notice earlier, “because if I had seen anybody’s shade melted like that, I would have been banging on that door.”
“I’m hurt. That was my baby,” Jones said. “That was my middle child.”
Harris said she was watching News Center 7 when she saw her niece’s apartment on her screen and learned that three bodies had been removed following a fire.
“I almost lost my mind,” Harris said. “I didn’t know what to think.”
She and Jones said it’s been between a week to 10 days since they’ve heard from Taylor, who was studying to be a teacher at Sinclair Community College in Dayton.
“I can’t imagine how did this happen,” said Jones, who said she had been calling and texting her daughter. “I should have went over there … I don’t know.”
Investigators are focusing on the stove as a possible source of the fire, the chief said. In certain instances, Ashworth said, “a fire will produce enough smoke to choke the oxygen out and extinguish itself.”
An impromptu memorial is now established near the residence.
Read more coverage: