2 teens arrested in robbery of disabled man at Dayton library; attack caught on camera


UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m.

Two young teens were arrested Thursday, accused of attacking and robbing a special-needs man last week at the Dayton Metro Library’s Northwest Branch on Philadelphia Drive.

The Nov. 28 attack was caught on camera, which led to the arrest two boys, ages 14 and 15, according to Dayton police.

“I was just appalled that somebody would attack someone that was disabled and try to take anything from them,” said Alisa Stone, who routinely drops off her two children at the library branch.

>> Dayton man found guilty of providing support to a terrorist group

The video showed the pair accost the man in the sliding door entrance. They start by punching him. After a couple blows, the victim falls to the floor. Then one of the teens kicks him in the head.

Police said the victim suffered minor injuries in the attack.

Despite the incident, Stone said she will not think twice about taking her children to the library.

“I still feel safe here. I’m not going to let it deter our interactions with the library,” Stone said. “It’s not the library’s fault. It’s the people.”

UPDATE @ 4:31 p.m. (Dec. 6): Police have arrested a 14- and 15-year-old in the robbery of a special-needs man at the Dayton Metro Library’s Northwest Branch on Philadelphia Drive in late November.

INITIAL REPORT

Dayton police are looking for two male suspects involved in the Nov. 28 robbery of a special-needs man at a library.

>> Live Doppler 7 Radar | INTERACTIVE

The suspects attacked the victim about 6:50 p.m. in the doorway of the Dayton Metro Library’s Northwest Branch on Philadelphia Drive. 

The man suffered minor injuries, according to police.

We are working to learn what was taken during the robbery.

>> Stabbing reported on East Third Street in Dayton

Anyone with information is urged to call the Dayton Police Department Violent Offenders Unit, 937-333-1232, or Crime Stoppers, 937-222-STOP.


Reader Comments


Next Up in Local

Dayton area businessman in court today on illegal dumping charges
Dayton area businessman in court today on illegal dumping charges

A prominent Dayton area philanthropist and one of his managers are set to appear in court today on several felony charges involving his businesses. Steve R. Rauch and Jennifer Copeland have been summoned to be appear in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, where they were indicted last month on illegal dumping and related charges, court records show...
Police: 58-year-old man abducted at gunpoint back home safe in Dayton
Police: 58-year-old man abducted at gunpoint back home safe in Dayton

The 58-year-old man is back home, but his vehicle is still missing. The man is safe and was able to walk back to his house in the 600 block of Gramont Avenue, police said. The victim, whose name was not released, was abducted at gunpoint by two men who also robbed him of his mid-size sport-utility vehicle, a red 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada with Ohio plates...
Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards says he’s giving up drinking; ‘I got fed up with it’
Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards says he’s giving up drinking; ‘I got fed up with it’

Longtime Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards said he’s been drinking less and less over the past year and finally just “pulled the plug on it.” >> Read more trending news  The Stones guitarist and founding band member, who turns 75 next week, told Rolling Stone magazine, “I just got fed up with it.” He said...
2 rapes reported in one Trotwood neighborhood has residents on edge
2 rapes reported in one Trotwood neighborhood has residents on edge

Two rapes were reported last week in a Trotwood neighborhood. “I mean it’s scary. It’s a quiet neighborhood. This is a quiet block. I’ve been over here a couple years and we’ve never had anything like that happen around here,” Tina Phillips said. One of the rapes was reported Dec. 3 on Curundu Avenue. The second...
Endangered Missing Adult Alert canceled after Riverside man returns home
Endangered Missing Adult Alert canceled after Riverside man returns home

An Endangered Missing Adult Alert has been canceled after a 76-year-old Riverside man returned home safely. An Endangered Missing Adult Alert has been issued for Fred Wilson, 76, last seen leaving his Riverside home about 6 p.m. Wednesday. Wilson suffers from diabetes and police are concerned for his safety.  He was last seen wearing a red or...
More Stories