Beavercreek City School District released Friday the names of more than two dozen individuals who applied for its superintendent opening.
The school received 28 applicants for the position prior to the application deadline on Feb. 22.
A few of those applicants have local ties, including: former Kettering City Schools superintendent Jim Schoenlein; former Xenia Community City Schools superintendent Deborah Piotrowski; Michael Brannon, assistant superintendent of operations at Mason City Schools; Carlisle Local School superintendent Larry Hook; former Springfield City Schools principal Marvin Jones II; and Fairfield City Schools superintendent Paul Otten.
“What we’re looking for is no different than any superintendent search: strong leadership and educational vision,” said Penny Rucker, Beavercreek City Schools’ treasurer and CFO.
The search for a new superintendent was launched late last year when Bill McGolthlin announced he planned to retire at the end of the 2015-16 school year. McGolthlin was at the helm of the district for four years.
Beavercreek City Schools plans to do its first round of interviews on March 7 and 9, and then finalist interviews between March 21 and 23. The school hopes to have the position filled by April, and have the person at the helm by August.
A school official says they’re paying search firm K-12 Business Consulting around $17,000 to conduct the search.
Schoenlein resigned from Kettering City Schools in June 2014 after the school board voted unanimously to put him on leave because of board concerns with his management. Schoenlein also admitted to working on school levy campaigns on school time, which is against the law.
He declined to speak with this newspaper Friday about the Beavercreek position.
Candidates for the Beavercreek superintendent’s job:
- Dr. William Anderson, principal, Columbus Africentric Early College (Grades 6-12). Former principal, Columbus Mifflin High School
- Adam Bird, superintendent, New Richmond Exempted Village Schools (Clermont County). Former principal, New Richmond High School
- Michael Brannon, assistant superintendent of operations, Mason City Schools. Former director of business affairs, Hilliard City Schools
- Regina Brewer, nutritional service supervisor, Food Catering. Former franchise owner of Vanguard Cleaning Systems
- Jack Cunningham, CEO/president, Chesterton Group School Management Consultants. Former principal, East Liverpool High School (Columbiana County)
- Jack Fisher, assistant human resources director, Northwest Local Schools (Hamilton County). Former director of business and academic services, Finneytown Local Schools
- Dr. Milton Folson, principal, Mt. Healthy Junior/Senior High School (Hamilton County). Former principal, Groveport-Madison Middle School Central
- Dr. Dean Gorrell, superintendent, Verona Area (Wisconsin) Public School District. Former superintendent of the Marshall (Wisconsin) Public School District
- James Herrholtz, deputy superintendent, Mahoning County Educational Service Center. Former associate state superintendent, Ohio Department of Education
- James Holiday, head of K12 Bible Curriculum, Dayton Christian School System, and 5th grade bible, history and english Teacher, Dayton Christian School
- Larry Hook, superintendent, Carlisle Local Schools (Warren County). Former assistant superintendent, Springboro Community City Schools
- Robert Humble, superintendent, Fairbanks Local Schools (Union County). Former director of personnel and curr., Clermont-Northeastern Local Schools
- Marvin Jones II, director of Middle Schools and Student Services, Springfield City Schools. Former principal, Trotwood Madison Middle School
- Jonathan Kuehnle, ampus director, Springfield H.S., Springfield City Schools (Clark County). Former principal, Circleville High School (Pickaway County)
- Dean Lynch, superintendent, Blanchester local Schools (Clinton County). Former middle school administrator, Springfield City Schools (Clark County)
- Dr. Bobby Moore, senior director–strategic management, Battelle for Kids (Columbus, OH). Former superintendent, Mechanicsburg Exempted Village Schools (Champaign Co.)
- Dr. Carl Metzger, assistant superintendent, South-Western City Schools (Franklin County). Former superintendent of Marion Local Schools (Mercer County)
- Tyrone Olverson, superintendent, Finneytown Local Schools. Former director of curriculum and instruction, Licking Heights Local Schools
- Paul Otten, superintendent, Fairfield City Schools (Butler County). Former assistant superintendent, Fairfield City Schools
- Jennifer Penczarski, superintendent, Kenton City Schools (Hardin County). Former principal, Tri-Valley Local School Dist M.S. (Muskingum Co.)
- Dr. Deborah Piotrowski, assistant superintendent (Kalamazoo (Michigan) Public Schools. Former superintendent, Xenia Community City Schools (Greene County)
- Brian Ruckel, director of facilities and cassified staff, Washington Nile Local Schools (Scioto Co.). Former superintendent, Blanchester Local Schools (Clinton County)
- Dr. James Schoenlein, former superintendent, Kettering City Schools (Montgomery County). Former curriculum director, Kettering City Schools
- Daniel Schroer, superintendent, Margaretta Local Schools (Erie County). Former superintendent, Greene County Career Center
- Joyce Thompson, former supervisor of School Reform, Columbus City Schools. Former director or school improvement, Columbus City Schools
- David Torrence, assistant principal, Greenville High School (Darke County). Former athletic director and social studies teacher, Mount Gilead H.S.
- Dr. Philip Wagner, superintendent, Licking Heights Local Schools (Licking County). Former assistant superintendent, Beachwood City Schools (Cuyahoga County)
- Dr. Sean Yisrael, owner, Educational Practices for Better Schools, Washington, D.C. Former principal, Roosevelt High School, Washington, D.C.