Col. Bradley W. McDonald took command of the 88th Air Base Wing at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on Tuesday during a change of command ceremony.
The 88th Air Base Wing was originally organized by the Air Service Command to provide support functions for Wright Field. It took over support for Patterson Field in 1946, and in a few years became the host wing for Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
The wing supports numerous operations including humanitarian missions, logistical support and serving as host of the Air Force Marathon since 1997.
Here are five things to know about the wing:
1. The motto is “Strength Through Support.”
2. The 88th Air Base Wing was first organized in April 1944 at Patterson Field as the 4000th Army Air Forces Base Unit.
3. There have been more than 36 wing commanders.
4. The 88th Air Base Wing emblem is emblazoned with the Wright Flyer vintage airplane to commemorate the aviation heritage of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
5. Col. Colleen M. Ryan became the first female base commander in 2006.