- Chris Stewart Staff Writer
Heroin is inflicting pain and death to a diverse many people in the Miami Valley — from those who directly use the drugs to others caught in the deadly crossfire of the epidemic.
Here are a variety of accounts illustrating the broad swath of despair opioids cut across the region:
Mom overdoses at Chuck E. Cheese: A mother snorted heroin and overdosed in the bathroom of a Chuck E. Cheese in Colerain Twp. last week, according to WLWT.
Michelle Wagner, 34, was at the restaurant with her 7-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter.
After emergency responders revived Wagner with Narcan, the Batesville, Ind. woman was taken to a hospital and then to jail, charged with two counts of child endangerment.
Boy gets into dad’s dope: A 13-year-old died Saturday after overdosing Tuesday, when he got into his dad’s drugs, according to a Dayton Police incident report. Robert Baker Wylie, 40, is in the Montgomery County Jail on drug possession and child endangering charges, according to online jail records. A co-worker of Wylie’s on the scene told police Wylie was “on drugs and the boy got into his stuff,” wrote Dayton Police Officer Joseph Drumm in the incident report. Medics administered Narcan without any response before transporting the teen to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment.
Innocent victim: Anthony Hufford, 28, died March 27 when struck by a pickup driven by a man who said he’d used heroin after stealing a pickup. Jordan Harville of Clayton led police on a two-county chase that ended with the crash on North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp. Hufford was pulling from a private driveway when his car was hit by the speeding pickup.
Children discovering overdoses: More children are dialing 911, sobbing to report unresponsive family members. On Sunday, a sobbing 9-year-old called dispatchers with a horrific report: “My grandmas are on the ground.” The Dayton girl’s call is among the most recent of children begging for help following an apparent overdose.
Those entrusted with safety: It was also children who found parents – including their airline pilot father – unresponsive in a Centerville home on March 16. Investigators suspect fentanyl overdoses took the lives of Brian and Courtney Halye. Brian Halye had been a pilot for Spirit Airlines and captained a passenger jet days before.
Youngest overdose death: 2-year-old Lee Hayes was the youngest to die of an overdose last year. Hayes was pronounced dead at Good Samaritan Hospital on Sept. 29. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office started an investigation into how the Harrison Twp. toddler got a hold of the drug, but Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer has said investigators have little evidence to work from.
Grandma stuck with needle: In June 2015, a 67-year-old woman accidentally stuck herself with a needle tending to her 22-year-old grandson’s overdose. When police arrived, Dustin Wilson had come to in his bedroom. Medics treated him, but he refused to go to the hospital. Then medics told the grandmother she would need to be checked at the hospital because the needle had been used for heroin, according to a police report.
Mother and son overdose together: A 31-year-old Dayton man died and his mother was hospitalized after they overdosed together in east Dayton. The 52-year-old woman and her son, Paul Eversole, were found unresponsive in the mother’s home on Revere Avenue, according to Dayton Police. Emergency responders were able to revive Patricia Eversole with Narcan.
The youngest victims: Between 2006 and 2015 in Ohio, 11,283 newborns have been hospitalized for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome, a condition resulting from a mother’s drug use during pregnancy. Treating newborns with NAS was associated with more than $133 million in charges during 2015.