WATCH: You have NEVER seen the Dayton Arcade like this, and it will amaze you

July 12, 2017

Anyone who has ever been to the Dayton Arcade has their own perceptions of what the Dayton Arcade is. 

There is the ornate and patina-green main entrance on West Third Street, the stately looking shop fronts and apartments on the West Fourth Street side, the tall apartment building on the corner of Fourth and Ludlow and the arched windows and white brick of the South Ludlow Street side. 

And all of this is tied together by the 198-by 200-foot market area under the domed rotunda that is ornately decorated with symbols of food prosperity (turkeys, rams’ heads, cornucopia-like fruit sculptures).

Colorful turkeys with crested tails are crafted from sheet metal and surround the top of the glass domed rotunda. LISA POWELL / STAFF Photo: Lisa Powell
Architectural details like this colorful cornucopia fill the rotunda of the Dayton Arcade. LISA POWELL / STAFF Photo: Lisa Powell
The Dayton Arcade, which opened in 1904, closed its doors for good in 1991. LISA POWELL / STAFF Photo: Lisa Powell

The Dayton Arcade is a complex, so says the National Register of Historic Places Inventory- Nomination Form. The form lists two distinct buildings: Fourth Street Arcade Building and Third Street Arcade.

The Third Street Arcade interior has a 20 by 200-foot promenade with a vaulted glass ceiling. This promenade is lined with space for twenty stores, thirty-four offices and thirty-two bachelor apartments.

The Dayton Arcade, which opened in 1904, closed its doors for good in 1991. Shops once lined this passageway that leads from the Third Street entrance to the center rotunda area. LISA POWELL / STAFF Photo: Lisa Powell
A 200-foot-long glass roofed corridor led visitors from the main entrance of the Dayton Arcade on Third Street to the glass roofed rotunda centerpiece. Visitors stroll along the walkway in this 1980 photograph. DAYTON DAILY NEWS ARCHIVE

The Fourth Street Arcade Building occupies the entire southwest corner of the block and is the largest section of the Dayton Arcade complex. Buildings on South Ludlow and West Fourth Streets along with the market area make up this section. Entrances are located on both streets. 

Drone view of the Dayton Arcade Fourth Street buildings at the corner of Fourth and Ludlow. TY GREENLEES / STAFF Photo: Ty Greenlees

The Inventory form describes the buildings: “The Fourth Street Building as planned has twenty suites of offices on the second floor. The third and fourth floors are five and six room family apartments and the fifth has twenty bachelor apartments with two rooms each. The Ludlow Street wing has stores plus offices.”

Aerial view of the Dayton Arcade complex along Ludow Street. Six months after being denied state historic tax credits, the developers of the Dayton Arcade officially earned $5 million in incentives on Wednesday, June 28, 2017. TY GREENLEES / STAFF Photo: Ty Greenlees
Straight down view of the Dayton Arcade complex. Main Street is at the top, Ludlow at the bottom. The Third Street Arcade entrance is at the left with the domed window over the Arcade Market area in the center. TY GREENLEES / STAFF Photo: Ty Greenlees

The State of Ohio recently granted $5 million in historic tax credits to allow developers to move forward with renovation plans.

RELATED:  Arcade project aided by tax credits

The Dayton arcade has been sitting empty since 1991.