Archdeacon: He’s a harness racing legend with 16,000-plus wins, but this one in Miami County might have been the most special

As he came out of the final turn and into the home stretch at the Miami County Fairgrounds track Monday evening, he urged on Bold Decision with his raised voice and occasional tap of his whip and the 10-year-old bay gelding increased his lead and began to pull away from second-place Pink Rock, a bay mare half his age.

And, in so doing, Tony Morgan proved Tom Wolfe wrong:

You can go home again.

»RELATED: Hamilton trainer wins 1,000th race

Morgan first piloted a horse owned by his grandfather – Eddie Morgan Sr. – around this track in a training session 52 years ago. He was seven.

Six years later — at age 13 – he drove Kay Adios, a horse owned by his mother, in his first race here. It was an amateur event – you had to be 14 to legally compete – and he says he finished “third or fourth.”

A year later he won for the first time here. He can’t remember the horse’s name, but it was owned by his grandfather, as were four of the five other horses in the race, one of which had his dad in the sulky and two others which were driven by his uncles.

Monday night, though, was Morgan’s first time back driving the Miami County Fairgrounds track in 17 years.

And quite a return it was.

He had a horse he’d never seen before – a horse that had not won in its previous 20 starts this year – out in front and headed to victory.

In the infield, a collection of friends and family – including his 82-year-old mother, Sharon – mixed cheers and tears with an overwhelming sense of pride as he came charging toward them.

“Go you (SOB)! Go! Go!” Margaret “Mugs” Rousseau, who had worked 30 years for Tony’s late father Eddie Morgan Jr., yelled at Bold Decision.

Up ahead wasn’t just the finish line, it was sacred ground.

That’s where Eddie’s Jr.’s ashes had been spread after his death three years ago.

Everywhere you looked around these fairgrounds Monday, there were memories of this venerable family of horsemen.

Tony, now 59, is the sixth generation to race here.

No family has deeper ties to this fair, its old racing oval and certainly not Monday night’s special race.

Tony Morgan is one of the most successful drivers in harness racing history. Before racing Wednesday at Harrah ‘s Philadelphia in the afternoon and Ocean Downs in Berlin, Md, at night – both tracks are near his home in Maryland – he had won 16,188 races in his career, second most in the history of the sport.

In 84,899 starts, he’d won close to $129.8 million.

He’s a four-time winner of the prestigious Harness Tracks of America Driver of the Year award and has won the North American dash title five times.

One day he’ll likely be in the Harness Racing Hall of Fame.

Yet, for all he’s done on tracks across North America, nothing meant more than to him than that third race Monday night at the Miami County Fair.

It was called the Eddie Morgan Sr./Eddie Morgan Jr. Memorial. It was named for his late grandfather 25 years ago and last year his dad’s name was added to the race.

“It means a lot to everybody that Tony’s back here tonight,” said Noah Garrett, his cousin and a horseman himself, who stables his animals in Barn 3. “And for him to come and actually race makes it even greater. We all love seeing him here… Tony’s always been my idol.”

After his family and friends gathered around him and the triumphant pacer for the Winner’s Circle photo, Tony quietly shared a previously unspoken thought.

Driving Bold Decision had been the right decision.

“Last year was the first year my dad’s name was on the race and I wasn’t here for it,” he said “I had a lot of regrets about that, so I knew I wanted to be here this year. And it was nice to do good in front of the home crowd. I didn’t want to disappoint anyone.”

Eddie Sr. and Eddie Jr.

Charlie Morgan – Tony’s uncle who has a 32-acre horse farm with his wife, Dot, near Laura, and runs the Blooded Horse Sale company out of Lexington, Ky. which sells 3,500 horses a year – said the family’s presence at this track began with Tony’s great, great, great grandfather, Henry.

Eddie Morgan Sr., — Charlie’s dad and Tony’s grandfather – was one of the family’s most legendary figures.

“He was at Iwo Jima in World War II and 95 percent of his company was killed or wounded,” Charlie said. “Because he was good with animals, he had a war dog – a German Shepherd – and he credited that dog with keeping him alive. When he was in the fox holes and the Japanese came out at night, his dog could pick them up right away. He brought that dog home with him afterward.”

After the war, Eddie Sr. gave his sons – Eddie Jr., Charlie and Tom – their racing lessons at the Miami County track.

“See that big sycamore over there?” Charlie, now 70, said as he pointed to a massive tree beyond the barns. “I was maybe 12 and had a horse on as long line. He wasn’t broke yet and tried to run off. I couldn’t stop him, so when he pulled me past that tree — it was small then – I wrapped the rope around the trunk to stop him.”

Another memory involved Eddie Jr.

“Here at the fair, when I was little and he was a teenager, he was like The Fonz on Happy Days to me,” Charlie said. “He even had ducktails and he was good looking and I remember he had a girlfriend at this gate right up here by the barns and another girlfriend at the gate across the fair.

“He’d take this girl and win her a teddy bear and then he’d go up and get the other girl and win her a teddy bear, too.”

Eddie Jr. was even better squiring his four-legged partners around the fair.

“He was a really good driver,” Charlie said. “He could win with his horse up front, in the middle or coming from the back.”

Early on, Tony said his dad gave him tough love training, while his grandfather – Eddie Sr. – was a little more nurturing:

“In the beginning my grandfather was my biggest cheerleader. He kept my morale up. But it worked out just fine. In the end, my dad became my biggest cheerleader.”

“From the time I was little, nothing interested me like being out here at the track. In fact, for a while we even lived in a house on the grounds here.

“I can remember when I was in junior high and high school, my dad would be off racing in the winter and I’d be out here training the colts.”

When Tony was a junior, the family moved to Michigan where his mom – a Michigan State grad and a respected veterinarian – was from.

“After high school Tony went to Michigan State …briefly,” Sharon smiled. “He didn’t like that, at all.”

After starting his driving career on the Ohio and Kentucky circuits, he moved to the Chicago tracks in the 1990s and had great success. Now he races primarily on the East Coast.

“Tony is a genius,” said Charlie’s wife, Dot, who runs the New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program, the largest such program in the nation.

“Since Tony was three or four years old he could take things apart and put them back together again. First it was his bike, then the TV.

“Later he applied that to horses and he could fix any horse, whether it was sore or mentally not good or it was interfering with itself. He can figure out the kind of shoes or equipment it needs. He can get in a horse’s head and bring it around.

“He’s that good.”

‘A stellar human being’

Every year the Morgan family gathers outside Barn 3 during the fair for a reunion that centers around the memorial race.

Tony’s cousin, Holly Neitman, orchestrates the spread of food that is set up beneath a nearby tent. This year she said the gathering was extra special because Tony – who in the past has raced 360 days a year —had come back home.

Yet, for all his glory, he is down to earth and humble and spent much of the evening standing along the track fence or in the barn talking quietly – and mostly listening - to others.

“He’s not just a horseman, he’s a stellar human being,” Dot said. “He gives all the time though you’d never know about it.

“There’s a guy I know who was a good horseman. He’s 72 now and has cancer and was very depressed because he couldn’t do a lot now.

“Tony literally bought a horse for $15,000 and gave it to him so he’d have some purpose again. He just didn’t want to see him down.”

Sharon told how she was “really sick” last August and how Tony showed up in Michigan – where she lives – to care for her.

“I was just so touched,” she said.

His love of family showed itself in a different way when his dad died, she said:

“We were talking about a funeral and Tony was not in favor of that. He looked down his nose at me and said, ‘Have I ever told you no?’ I said, ‘No’ and he said, ‘Well, I’m telling you now.’

“So we had a celebration of Eddie’s life instead. And Tony participated and everything was perfect.”

Holly remembers that day: “As soon as the memorial ended, he got in his car and left. He had had all he could deal with that day.”

Monday night Tony made sure there was another celebration.

That’s when Bold Decision became the right decision.

That’s when he guided another winner to the finish line and onto sacred ground.

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Sports

Wright State falls short in bid to reach NCAA tourney
Wright State falls short in bid to reach NCAA tourney

The Wright State men’s soccer team had hoped it did enough to make the field of 48 in the NCAA tournament for the first time. The Raiders have an RPI rating of 35 and were ranked all season in the national polls until falling to UIC in the Horizon League championship. But despite a banner year under first-year coach Jake Slemker, they weren&rsquo...
Meyer says Buckeyes won’t have trouble focusing on Maryland this week
Meyer says Buckeyes won’t have trouble focusing on Maryland this week

Ohio State began its 11th game week of the season Monday, and that can only mean one thing. Urban Meyer needed to talk to his team about not thinking about the ninth-ranked Buckeyes’ 12th game week of the season yet. The latter, of course, will lead up to a game against Michigan. With the Buckeyes and Wolverines (No. 4) both in the top 10 this...
Dayton Flyers notes: Toppin showing early confidence
Dayton Flyers notes: Toppin showing early confidence

Obi Toppin may have grabbed a pickle as he was leaving a postgame interview Saturday. A plate of pickles left over from the pregame meal in the media room at UD Arena tempted him. Pickles helped Toppin recover from a cramping episode in the season opener three days earlier, but in this game, he avoided that issue by making sure he was better hydrated...
Urban Meyer endorses play of Ohio State offensive line
Urban Meyer endorses play of Ohio State offensive line

The play of Ohio State’s offensive line has been a bit of a lightning rod among the fan base this season.  The head coach provided an endorsement of the group Monday — but he wants to see more. “I think we could play a little bit better,” Meyer said two days after the Buckeyes beat Michigan State 26-6. “That was a...
Bengals Report Card: Grading Sunday’s 51-14 loss to the Saints
Bengals Report Card: Grading Sunday’s 51-14 loss to the Saints

The Cincinnati Bengals were missing their best player on offense Sunday, and the defense just didn’t show up at all. The result was one of the worst losses in franchise history, as the Bengals fell 51-14 to the New Orleans Saints. »RELATED: Bengals reportedly fire defensive coordinator »RELATED: 5 takeaways from Bengals’ blowout...
More Stories