Obi Toppin has made a big splash in his first year on the court for the Dayton Flyers, racking up dunks at a furious pace.
Toppin, a 6-9 forward from Mount Zion Prep and Ossining, N.Y., scored the first six points of his career on three dunks in the season opener Nov. 7 against North Florida. He set the Dayton single-game record with eight dunks against Detroit Mercy on Dec. 4. He tied a school record by making 11 of 11 shots in a game against Western Michigan on Dec. 19 and dunked six times in the game.
Toppin made SportsCenter’s top-10 plays with a between-the-legs dunk — maybe the first anyone has ever seen in a game at UD Arena — on Dec. 29 against Georgia Southern.
» FOLLOW THE FLYERS: All the links you need throughout the season in one place
It is believed Chris Wright owns the Dayton single-season record for dunks (66 in 2009-10) and the career record (177). Toppin is off to a good start in pursuit of both those marks. Through 15 games, he has 39 dunks among his 87 made field goals. He’s averaging 12.9 points per game, which ranks third on the team. He’s shooting 70.2 percent from the field.
Here’s a list of Toppin’s dunks (game by game):
Nov. 7, vs. North Florida (Dunks: 4)
1. 19:10: This was Toppin’s first career basket and Dayton’s first basket of the 2018-19 season. He caught a pass from outside the 3-point line, landed with the ball and dunked in his next motion. Assist: Crutcher.
2. 17:46: Toppin’s second dunk, of an alley-oop pass, gives Dayton an 8-3 lead. Assist: Trey Landers.
3. 15:50: Toppin ties the game at 10:10 with his third straight made field goal (all dunks). Assist: Ryan Mikesell.
4. 8:09: A fast-break dunk gives Dayton a 24-21 lead. Assist: Dwayne Cohill.
Summary: Toppin scored 18 points on 8-of-13 shooting in a 78-70 victory. He left the game late in the second half because of cramps.
Quoted: “I see it every day in practice,” sophomore guard Jordan Davis said of Toppin, “so I’m never really amazed. He’s just a pogo stick, always jumping.”
Nov. 10, vs. Coppin State (Dunks: 2)
1. 6:03: Toppin dunks on a fast break to give Dayton a 32-12 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
2. 9:30: Toppin’s basket gives Dayton a 62-26 lead. Assist: Landers.
Summary: Toppin scores 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting in 29 minutes in a 76-46 victory.
Nov. 16, vs. Purdue Fort Wayne (Dunks: 3)
1. 14:48: Toppin dunks on a fast break to give Dayton a 14-13 lead. Assist: Landers.
2. 9:27: Dayton cuts the deficit to 22-20 on Toppin’s fast-break dunk. Assist: Crutcher.
3. 8:46: Toppin scores on a fast break to give Dayton a 74-68 lead. Assist: Jhery Matos.
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 4-of-7 shooting in 16 minutes in a 91-80 victory.
Nov. 21, vs. Butler (Dunks: 0)
Summary: Toppin scores four points on 2-of-3 shooting in 17 minutes in a 69-64 victory in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas.
Nov. 22, vs. Virginia (Dunks: 2)
11:58: Toppin dunks to give Dayton a 41-37 lead. Assist: Landers.
1:29: This unassisted basket cuts Virginia’s lead to 60-56, but De’Andre Hunter hits a 3-pointer on the next possession to all but clinch the victory for the Cavaliers in the semifinals of the Battle for Atlantis.
Summary: Toppin scores 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting in 26 minutes in Dayton’s 66-59 loss.
Nov. 23, vs. Oklahoma (Dunks: 1)
7:52: With Dayton facing its biggest deficit of the first half (26-12), this dunk starts a 7-0 run. Assist: Cohill.
Summary: Toppin scores seven points on 3-of-5 shooting in 16 minutes in a 65-54 loss.
Nov. 30, vs. Mississippi State (Dunks: 0)
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 4-of-7 shooting in a 65-59 loss.
Dec. 4, vs. Detroit Mercy (Dunks: 8)
1. 14:20: Toppin’s first of a school single-game record eight dunks gives Dayton a 14-11 lead. Assist: Alley-oop from Landers.
2. 13:15: Dayton takes a 16-13 lead with Toppin’s second dunk in three possessions. Assist: Alley-oop from Landers.
3. 10:55: Toppin’s basket gives Dayton a 23-13 lead. Assist: Alley-oop off in-bounds pass. Assist: Jordan Davis.
4. 8:45: Toppin’s dunk caps a 16-0 run. Assist: Crutcher throws pass from outside 3-point line to Toppin, who catches it, lands and then dunks.
5. 0:56: Toppin slams home an alley-oop pass with one hand. Assist: Crutcher.
6. 3:37: Dayton takes an 88-57 lead on his fifth dunk. Assist: Landers.
7. 1:47: This dunk puts Dayton in front by 34. Assist: Frankie Policelli.
8. 1:12: This play was almost identical to the previous dunk. Assist: Policelli.
Summary: Toppin scores a career-high 22 points on 10-of-13 shooting in 25 minutes. He breaks Sean Finn’s school record for dunks in a game with eight. Finn had six dunks against Prairie View A&M in 2003. Dayton also sets a team record with 12 dunks.
Quoted: “Those are exciting plays and they certainly bring energy to his teammates and energy to the fans,” said UD coach Anthony Grant. “They are great momentum swinging plays.”
Dec. 8, at Auburn (Dunks: 2)
1. 9:13: Crutcher misses a 3-pointer from the corner, and Toppin grabs the rebound out of the air and slams it home to trim Auburn’s lead to 74-58.
2. 7:32: Toppin cuts through the lane to catch a pass and dunks to cut Auburn’s lead to 76-63. Assist: Josh Cunningham.
Summary: Toppin scores 10 points on 4-of-4 shooting in 16 minutes in an 82-72 loss.
Dec. 16, vs. Tulsa (Dunks: 1)
1. 5:43: Toppin dunks on a fast break to give Dayton a 27-15 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting in a 72-67 loss.
Dec. 19, vs. Western Michigan (Dunks: 6)
12:45: Toppin’s alley-oop slam gives Dayton a 21-15 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
9:55: Another alley-oop dunk puts Dayton on top 28-19. Assist: Crutcher.
0:40: Dayton takes a 45-31 lead on Toppin’s third dunk of the half. Assist: Crutcher.
8:13: Just like the previous three dunks, Crutcher dribbles into the lane before lofting an alley-oop pass to Toppin. Assist: Crutcher.
7:53: On a fast break, Crutcher throws a pass blindly over his head to Toppin, who finishes off yet another alley-oop. Assist: Crutcher.
0:33: For the final time in this game, Crutcher throws an alley-oop pass to Toppin. This time, he catches it with his back to the basket and dunks without looking at the basket. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin ties a school record by making 11 of 11 field-goal attempts in an 85-72 victory. He ties his career high with 22 points. Six of Crutcher’s 10 assists led to Toppin dunks.
Quoted: “They’re two guys who have really good basketball instincts,” Grant said. “Obi has the ability to get you some easy baskets. He has the ability to run and jump. And Jalen has the knack for making plays. He finds teammates and puts them in position to do what they do best. That combination works well.”
Dec. 22, vs. Presbyterian (Dunks: 2)
0:57: Toppin’s dunk gives Dayton a 42-17 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
2:31: Toppin extends Dayton’s lead to 79-63.
Summary: Toppin scores eight points on 4-of-8 shooting in 25 minutes in an 81-69 victory.
Dec. 29, vs. Georgia Southern (Dunks: 3)
12:48: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass thrown from behind the 3-point line to cut Georgia Southern’s lead to 19-14. Assist: Landers.
0:01: Toppin rebounds his own miss for a put-back slam to give the Flyers a 47-34 halftime lead.
6:05: Toppin gets a pass from Crutcher on the fast break and takes the ball between his legs while in the air before throwing down a dunk. It ranks third on SportsCenter’s top-10 plays of the day. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores his career and season-high 22 points for the third time, making 9 of 10 shots from the field in 20 minutes in a 94-90 victory.
Quoted: “I just felt good leaking out and getting the pass from Jalen (Crutcher),” Toppin said. “I just felt good jumping. I do it a lot in practice, so I just had the confidence to do it.”
Jan. 6 vs. Richmond (Dunks: 3)
3:10: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass thrown from near half court to give Dayton a 25-12 lead. Assist: Crutcher.
0:36: Jordan Davis misses a 3-pointer from the corner. Toppin grabs the rebound out of the air and dunks it.
6:22: Toppin beats everyone down the court and catches an alley-oop pass. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores 16 points on 8-of-14 shooting in 29 minutes in a 72-48 victory.
Quoted: “Oh yeah, he’s the High Flyer,” Cunningham said. “His athletic ability to soar around the basket is amazing. It’s great to know that somebody next to you goes all out every play and can do the things he does.”
Jan. 9 vs. George Washington (Dunks: 2)
13:18: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass from near the 3-point line to trim George Washington’s lead to 25-6. Assist: Crutcher.
8:53: Toppin catches an alley-oop pass after a drive by Crutcher and dunks to give Dayton a 59-58 lead. The Flyers wouldn’t trail again. Assist: Crutcher.
Summary: Toppin scores four points on 2-of-5 shooting in 30 minutes in a 72-66 victory.